Feed issue

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mark_F, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    My new P3AT was having an occasional feed issue. Ammo brand didn't matter, and a light "bump" on the slide completed the cycle. The pistol was new so I didn't concern myself with it, but after 400 rounds it still hung occasionally. I decided to correct this.

I could clearly see that the bullet was hanging up on the feed ramp so I removed the barrel and polished the ramp using a Dremel and a cone shaped buffing wheel. I used Tripole polishing rouge and got the feed ramp to a mirror finish. As a final touch, I used Flitz on the ramp.

700 rounds later... not a single hang-up.  What a sweet little pocket pistol!

[​IMG]

2. Gatorguy

Gatorguy New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    I think I'm going to have to try and do the same thing with mine. I have the same problem you've described.

3. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    It will fix the problem!

4. justin81

justin81 New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    I'm thinking about doing mine this weekend, but my dremel only has one speed. Do you think that is ok, or do you need the variable speeds to do it correctly.

5. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Personally, I think you'll be alright as long as you use the cotton polishing attachment and some polishing compound/jeweler's rouge. Mine has worked pretty well since I took a Dremel to it. Remember, a little Dremel goes a long way. :)

6. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Single speed will do just fine. The highest speed is the one I use. JUST POLISH! No sanding drums or grinding wheels. Felt bob & polish.

To check out a feed ramp polish job I intentionally hang a JHP round up on the ramp. If it will then go into battery with a touch or very slight push of the thumb on the rear of the slide, I've polished enough. Of course if I can't get it to hang up in the first place, that's better than good. ;)

7. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Just the man I've been looking for! mine does the same thing and is brand new only thing it does it on the DPX ammo yeah the real expensive stuff! so you started with the Tripole, were do you get it I've heard of it but not sure were I can find it. Thanks!

Tom j.

8. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Any good quality hardware store will have it. Ace is where I got mine.

9. Search here for the flubb and buff instructions, and do the fluff and buff.
    Search for the lube instructions and follow them as well.
    Do those and your 3AT will cycle as sweet as mine!

[​IMG]

Lost count of how many trouble free rounds.... but I do clean after every outing now.... and rarely run more than 2 or 3 mags at a time.

For me... my 3AT's are not range guns. The are self defense.

Shoot a little, carry alot.

Shoot, Clean, Lube, Repeat!

10. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Say how do you determine when it's polished enough. I read somewhere that you can have or create problems if you polish it to much. Thanks I'll check my local hardware store.

Tom j

11. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    As long as you stay away from polishing compounds with a high abrasive content IMO too much is never enough. ;)

12. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    It's extremely difficult to over polish the ramp, but I suppose its possible. IF you only use rouge you will be OK.

13. TOO MUCH is when you begin to re-shape the ramp. But you can not polish to much!

On rare occasions some to de re-shape... but that would be way beyound my skill set.

14. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Just make the ramp nice & shiny just like you see in my photo.

15. justin81

justin81 New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Kind of a dumb question, I've never polished anything before, but can someone kind of give me a quick "how to" on this. I tried searching for some kind of instructions and found most of what I needed to know. I just couldn't find a "how to" on the actual polishing. I wasn't sure if you rub some of the stuff on the ramp and then run the dremel, or do you put it on the felt?

16. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Polishing rouge is in a parafin base so run your buffing cone(wheel) into the rouge and completely cover the felt. Polish the surface at maximum RPM and move the felt over the entire surface to be polished. The barrel will get warm (hot) from the polishing friction. This is normal. Once you see a perfectly smooth & shiny surface clean the barrel with WD-40 or similar. Closely Inspect your work. If it needs more polishing then get after it, otherwise clean the barrel with a good solvent and install it in the pistol. Normally, it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to polish your ramp...

17. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I have read that you should polish in the direction the bullet travels. This means you'd have to go from the side with a dremel, no?

18. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    You can go the direction of the bullet. I didn't and it works perfectly.

19. justin81

justin81 New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Thanks Mark! I just finished mine. It looks great. I think I'm done with the fluff and buff. It cycles so much better and smoother now than it did. I think the polishing really helped a lot. Now I just need Sunday to come around so I can get this thing to the range! :D

20. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Even though I am not having any trouble with my little buddy, I think he is in for that treatment as soon as I can find a little time.

Enjoy shooting and pass it on,

CB