Federal Priemium 380

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bo_Bryant, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I picked up a box of Federal Premium Personal Defense 380 auto today. It states that it is a 90 grain hydra-shok and they are hollow point.

I remember a thread regarding various self defense ammo, but does anyone have any experience with these? If so, how did they work for you?

I will try to get to the range soon, but my wife is to have some surgery done tomorrow and it will be a few days before I can get to the range to do some shooting.

Bo Bryant

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

3. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Bo, that is what I use. No one I've shot has gotten back up.
    Good luck tomorrow. Slow days waiting for the doctors to come out and talk to you. Been there, Don't like that.
    Lop

4. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Thanks Lop. I understand. But then my wife has been there waiting on me as well. That is what we do--be there for each other.

Glad to know this about the ammo. Never used it before. I will shoot a few rounds of it to get use to it and then put it in for everyday carry.

thanks again

Bo Bryant

5. JB

JB Guest

Just FYI, I have found that when racking the first round of HS in my P3AT, I have to give the slide an ever-so-slight push to fully chamber the round.

6. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    JB, i've found the same thing. If you really snap the rack it will take, but usually a little bump does it.

7. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I checked mine. I pulled the slide all the way back and let it go and it chambered the shell without any problem. But I did slingshot it.

Bo Bryant

8. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    yeah federals feed and fire well for me. I actually have the buffalo bore hollow points alternated with some Remington fmj.

as for the the hollow points catching when you manually feed, you have to realize the slide is designed to move as speeds much faster than a manual rack during recoil. i too have a tendency to be gentle with it and that is usually when the slide needs a little push forward. the slide does need to "slam" forward with a little bit of speed to function as intended.

the federals have never failed to feed for me when shooting only the occasional sticking when manually racking the slide.

someone pointed out in another topic that if you change magazines while the last round is still chambered you won't have to rack the slide for mag changes.

9. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Pastor,

I would shoot at least a few mags through before you make it your carry round, just to check for reliable feeding.

I will pray for your wife.

10. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That's a good round. I run it in my .40 but powr'balls in the 380 due to feeding.

In a bullet test of sorts I did, the hydrashok's were the only ones to perform vs GS, DPX, Hornady XTP.

11. DaveNC

DaveNC Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I use the Hydra shok as well and they feed fine. I can't say I've had a FTF since I started using them in my P3AT or P11.

12. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    My wife is feeling better now so I will go to the range tomorrow and try the federal. I will see how they shoot.

Have a great weekend.

Bo Bryant

13. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    I use the Federal Personal Defense HPs in my 9mm and I really like them.  I'll probably be getting some for my .380 soon.

14. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Didn't get to the range today to try out the Federal. I had several late calls to attend some birthday parties for some of the children in our community. Around our house, children rule. So I opted out to attend those. I will try to get to the range sometime this week to see how they do.

Thanks for all the reports.

Bo Bryant