Federal Premium Law Enforcement Hyra-Shok

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by raymac1215, Apr 8, 2009.

1. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, I just bought a box of Federal Premium Law Enforcement Hydra Shok Ammunition 90 grain JHP and was wondering if anybody recommend this for use in the P3AT. Also is the casing brass , it looks like steel? i am new at this so don't laugh. My LGS owner sold them to me for $24.00 and said they were the best for carry purposes. Your answer is greatly appreciated.

2. CDW4ME

CDW4ME New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    USA
    Hydra-Shok is good ammunition. Last time I checked it wasn't LEO. The cases are nickel plated. I would want to shoot several magazines of any ammunition without any problems before carrying or relying on it for defensive purposes.

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    There is a Federal cartridge labeled "HST" that is supposed to be "LEO only" but it can be bought.

Steel no, nickel plated yes and your LGS guy did OK by you on the price assuming it's a box of 50 and not 20.

Supposedly it has a better bonded jacket than the regular HydraShok because it's "tactical".

Mainly I like it because boxes of 50 can (could) be had for $23-$28

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    IMO the Hydrashok is a "good" round but there are better rounds in most cases. I know this is a matter of opinion but in the little mouse guns I spend a bit more time trying to find the best ammo I can. Right now with the ammo shortage it can be hard to find any 380 anyway so if your gun shoots it I would carry it.
    Try a search and you will find a ton of threads about ammo here, also take a look at some gel tests

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

CJ

5. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    So is it nickle plated brass ? I assume nickle plated is better then brass ?
    Yes it was a box of 50. I'm concerned about how rough the tip of the hollow point is, where the expansion slits are. LEO or HST is not stamped on the round that I can find. The box states. Law Enforcement Ammunition. The picture submitted by doubloom is the exact box I purchased. I have not tried firing the ammo to test for reliability. I will advise if the ammo works with my P3AT. I have never had any FTE or anything since day one , so if this causes a problem I guess I wasted my money. I appreciate everyone's help and look forward to your answe on this nickle plated ammo I'm not at all familiar with. I guess I'm really looking fo someone to say it's good ammo for carry or tell me to use it at the range instead. Thanks !

6. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Like has been said, HS may not be best SD ammo for 380, but it's not bad either. Avgs 887fps out of my P3AT, penetrates 7" in denim covered soaked newsprint and expands to around .48" in my very "amateur" testing. I've shot around 50rds of it and it's pretty accurate and reliable for me.

7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Here is a link to a gel test of the HS. It penetrated very well for a 380acp, with about 145ft lbs of energy which is a bit low.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/90 grain Federal Personal Defense Hydra-Shok.html

Again it is a good round, give it a try in your P3 and if it shoots well use it for carry ammo. But I would suggest something like Critical Defense or Buffalo Bore JHP if you can find them.

CJ

Edit: I wouldn't worry much about Brass vs Nickle plated Brass, as long as the case is brass you are good to go.

8. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Thank you very much to all the responded to my questions. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain the difference to me. Looks like I have a lot to learn. I am having fun shooting the little power house pistol, but thanks to you folks it makes it a lot easier to maintain a reliable defense weapon. Thanks again.

9. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    The nickle-plating is not uncommon for self-defense ammo. Supposedly, it is 'slicker' than brass is, aiding in feeding and extraction. Remington Golden Saber and Winchester Ranger ammunition is the same way.

10. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Well, I couldn't wait any longer and fired off 18 rounds of Law Enforcement .380 tonight(just to test for reliability) No problems at all and a very nice kick. I think these will take down the BG with no problem. Only got off a total of about 80 rounds including the Hydra Shok until my neighbor called to complain about the noise again. I stopped out of respect for my neighbor. I'll wait until during the weekday when he is at work.
     Thanks to everyone!!!Happy with the ammo !!! ;D