Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group and to my PF9! My brother purchased myself and my other brother PF9's as a gift for the homestead protection because of all the home invasions here recently ! The first time I took the gun to the range I ran around 130 federal 114 grain through it with NO FTE or FTF ! Wonderful! I then had the gun professionally cleaned due to the lil ones running around the house all the time! So the next time I decided to go to the range I couldn't find any of the Federals at wal-mart, bass pro shop or any where else( has anybody else experienced a short supply of 9mm ammo! And why) so my brother gave me a couple of 100 rounds of Russian brand ammo and 50 rounds of some no name ammo and took it to the range and had 1 to 2 FTE or FTF on every full clip! Which kinda bummed me out since all my buddies from work were there sporting their. Glocks! Kinda still bummed but managed to find some Federals at a gun dealer for a few more dollars than I would of spent at wal-mart cant wait to take it back out ! But reading all the threads it has kinda made me rethink buying a p11 and just spend a few more hundred and get a glock 26 , Beretta px4 storm or a ruger sr9c or am I just jumping the gun! But let me say I love the looks, color , the feel and how it shoots and of course the price ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol! Sounds good , only if I can always find Federal ammo ! Like I said new to keltec always been a shotgun kinda of person and again the Glock snobs I was with was running anything and everything through there guns with no problem' !

·
Registered
527 Posts
You're lucky they were only Glock snobs.

Anyway, fat guns will eat anything.

You probably will find more decent name-brand, brass or nickle-plated ammo that your PF-9 will like. Especially as it breaks in.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We dont have shortage of federal 115gr 9mm in my area.. Unfortunately, there are no other fmj from wally world that my pf-9 likes. Just avoid steel or aluminum-cased bullets as stated in our manual.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Visited my local Walmart end of last week. They were loaded with 380, 40 cal. and 9mm. I went back this tuesday and the case was almost completely empty. Everybody is shooting these bad times. Lesson learned...buy the ammo when you see it...it may not always be available.

·
Administrator
31,987 Posts
Your friends' Glocks and other full sized pistols that will eat any ammo will be of little use at home in a drawer. The small, ultra-light PF9 is much easier and more realistic to carry. It is a niche weapon. Shoot what it likes and don't worry about what anyone thinks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ hosborn ,as stated I'm new to keltec pf9 never had really shot a semi auto pistol until here recently still learning the ends and outs! I had always been a shotgun person! So having the gun cleaned by someone else is kinda like having your oil changed , wanna maintain the gun and keep it in good working order also my wife is parinoid with the kids here ! Yes I'm a newbie! But that's why I'm here to get some pointers and learn a lil more about my PF9 !

·
Registered
20 Posts
the Pf9 is super easy to break down and clean. There are some good utubes out there so if you get stuck u can just refer back to the video_Once you start cleaning yourself you will see that it is part of the fun. And it is good for your kids to see dad taking care of his guns.A great way to begin teaching them about responsible gun ownership. Remember your fighting against the crap they learn from Liberals in school.Also time to teach your wife. She is not scared of a fire extinguisher? or smoke detector? Guns are just a tool. They dont fire by themselves and they won't reach out and pinch her. Anyhow i'm sure you have thought those things over so just a reminder. Glad your enjoying the Pf9 i certainly do. In fact i bet you will be looking to buy even more guns. Who can stop at one...Best wishes God bless you and your family...

·
Registered
246 Posts
@TxCajun: I completely agree that pf-9 is a niche pistol. It is the reason why i bought it to be by my night deskin case of emergency and for a future CHL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I'm looking to buy a couple more guns , almost like tattoos I got one then I wanted another but I stopped at two ! I'm looking at the P11 in blk and chrome a lil pricy I think, they are 284.00 new ! If I could work him down to 260.00 I'll get it but again I found a hunting shop here in town that has a Keltec sub2000 Beretta clip they want 384.00 again a lil pricy but they are hard to come by what I've seen ! The gun shops here in town are going way over MSRP on KelTecs a shop got in a couple PMR30's and are selling them for 489.00 !

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
awordexp... "which I am not",,,, you may want to get "mic holsters" for your pistols. Great to teach kids about the trigger area... They are 23$ to the door. I have 4 of em! Just YouTube and u will find.

kydirtrock, those prices are not bad, Lot more other places. They can't give em away. My 40sub was 445$ out the door w/everything. Then started buying accessories ..

kt380
273.00$ out the door
50$ gunsmith tuning
100$ plating @ CCR
30$ blue grip online
80$ break-in PMC rounds
--------------
$533.00 priceless M/C

·
Registered
111 Posts
Now there's a career choice I hadn't considered. Professional gun cleaner! Dude, keep that kind of comment under your hat! Posting that comment here is like wearing sandals and a pink belly shirt to a Hells Angels convention convention. You're leaving yourself wide open!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ dougc , like I said in the post I'm a new pistol owner , no I do not know how to clean my pistol as stated! How I see it when I do not want to change the oil in my jeep I take it down the street and have someone change it for me unlike the gun I can change the oil in it , just to lazy or busy! Like my jeep I have to keep maintance on my gun! I'm not ashamed to pay 10$ to have someone clean my gun and as mentioned I have my kids running around my house and my wife and I agreed until I know the in and outs of the pistol I'd keep the pistol locked up while in the house! My pistol was giving as a gift by my brother which has giving me a couple courses in loading , unloading and shooting ! I'm a newbie and came on here to get pointers on my gun! Not ashamed on what I don't know about a firearm and not to proud to ask for help or pointers ! That's why I joined this group ! Love my keltec and enjoy talking to people who love theirs!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
kydirtrock , your in the best place for all pistols. my first keltec was on dec.3rd... Going to school here since. With theses members, ktog, & keltec I think I have advanced pretty good. I am a newbie too! It will all come to ya. Watch a few videos, read, learn your field strip, which you can do rite now. Your on your way!

Cleaning:
field strip, pour lube on & let set 10 min then blow off with air , wipe down with old T-shirt.

keep barrel seperate, keep barrel clean and dry inside with lil' kit. Q-tip one dab oil on lug if barrel.

take mag apart, lube,clean , wipe down.

clean after 75 rounds, shoot again , repeat.

Put your list of ?'s here, members will answer, or start your on thread under your pistol header at top.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Doc beat me to it.

Now there's a career choice I hadn't considered. Professional gun cleaner! Dude, keep that kind of comment under your hat! Posting that comment here is like wearing sandals and a pink belly shirt to a Hells Angels convention convention. You're leaving yourself wide open!
Can't Doug, Doc and others already beat me to that post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Mike , I guess it's like everything else try and re-try till you get it right ! Appreciate all the info ! Nothing wrong with getting your balls busted , being the new kid! Maybe I should take it easy on all the inexperienced fishermen I come across!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yea, my nephew teaches me on fishing. Read a bunch of stickies at top of your pf9 page. watch YouTube a lot. ask some ?'s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts