Federal American Eagle 95gr fmj ballistic test

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hoopster, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Don't tell my wife but today I ran a little test of my own in the basement, just out of curiosity. Using the AE 95gr fmj out of the P3at from about 6 feet away.
    I shot into a stack consisting of a milk jug full of water, 3/8 inch sheet of plywood, one phone book, milk jug, phone book, milk jug.

The round penetrated the first jug, plywood, and half of a dry phone book. There were a few dents in the round here and there.
    I would love to hear opinions and evaluations of this performance.

2. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    My wife would have my nuts if I was shooting in the basement.   :eek:  It sure would cut down on range fees though.   ;D

3. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't plan on making a habit of it because it's a little messy with all the water and gun smoke ;D .
    I will try one more shot at the same set up when I get a box of Magtech 77gr copper hollow point so I can compare.

4. heavyvino

heavyvino New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I shoot my airgun in the garage all the time. I have wondered how much of a backstop I would need to do that with my p3.

5. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I've never done it, but doing such an ammo test indoors somehow seems generally unsafe to me. I'd be afraid of a richocet off a cement floor or wall if things didn't go according to plan.

I do admit to setting up a pellet gun range or two in some of my old apartments, though. ;)

6. heavyvino

heavyvino New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I don't want to explaine to my wife what that hole in the wall is and how it got there.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Don't ever test fire a 45-70 in the basement. Wife upstairs almost had a heart attack and cars on the street stopped. That was over 30 years ago and now the wife always asks what I'm carrying a gun to the basement for and reminds me "NO TEST FIRING".

8. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Haaaaa!! Thats funny ;D

9. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    ;)
    This is the round I carry in winter and usually intercut with Hydra Shoks in the warm months so I am quite interested in your results.

My evaluation is that the AE round will effect a one shot stop on any attacking milk jug and plywood combo but MIGHT be less effective on phone books of undetermined mass and thickness.

My opinion is that based on hearsay and vaguely remembered jello tests is that this round gets superior penetration when compared to almost all other 380 FMJ and all 380 HP.

10. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    ive done this a few times too but been told its a bad idea to shot large volumes in a basement due to toxic fumes and typically inadequate ventilation.

11. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    BTW, I examined the second round and it did have a smiley. The measured setback was 0.010". I guess I'm going to have to learn more about smileys. :(

12. heavyvino

heavyvino New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Were you bouncing them down into the sand bags?

13. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    In previous tests that I have seen on this website, the American Eagle FMJ seem to have the deepest penetration of any other FMJ rounds in .380.

14. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm not sure if I understand your question. If it's regarding the setback, I only fired one round, then ejected the following round and observed a smiley and 0.010" of setback.