Favorite Practice Ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Devildog341, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    While everyone has their preference for carry ammo for the P3AT, mine being Cor Bon, what is your preferred practice ammo beyond whatever is cheapest at the time? For practice I have only shot Lawman, which let me down as the pistol started to get a little dirty after 25-30 rounds, and Sellier & Bellot which never let me down.

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    My brother does reloading and keeps me supplied with inexpensive yet quality ammo for both my .380 P3AT and .44 mag and Ruger. I could get the particulars for the .380 reloads from my brother should you be interested.

Take care ...

3. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    The infamous W white box. If it will eat these it will eat anything, just like Mikey ;D

4. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    BillK, I would definitely be interested in your brothers load recipe's I picked up the die set tonight as a matter of fact.

5. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Whatever's cheap and FMJ. (except Wolf or CCI Blazer)

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    For practice I only use Rem UMC because those are the cheapest I'll use. Win White Box never gets used in any of my guns strictly out of principle. Well, that and neither of my KTs like them very well. I have used Independence and American Eagle and they did pretty well for what they were intended for. Actually the Independence wouldn't group worth a darn out of my P11 but did very well in the p3at. The AE loads were a little hot for my liking but still performed without failure and groups were acceptable. Some guns are picky and only shoot certain ammo well and it's up to you to find what works and stick with it. My P11 will eat Wolf ammo all day if I let it even though it's not recommended to use in these little guns. Never used it in the p3at though... Just my .02.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    JimBob,

I just shot the following email off to my brother and will post his reply when I get it ...

"Hi Rich,

I've been asked for information on the .380 ammo you've reloaded for me. You know, like what FN & what RN hardcast bullets were used (you reloaded both types for me) their weight (kinda remember 90 grains for one and 95 grains for the other but not sure), type powder and how much and any other info you think would be usefull for reloading .380s.

Thanks,
    Billy "

Take care ...

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    JimBob,

I just shot the following email off to my brother and will post his reply when I get it ...

"Hi Rich,

I've been asked for information on the .380 ammo you've reloaded for me. You know, like what FN & what RN hardcast bullets were used (you reloaded both types for me) their weight (kinda remember 90 grains for one and 95 grains for the other but not sure), type powder and how much and any other info you think would be usefull for reloading .380s.

Thanks,
    Billy "

Take care ...
    [/quote]

JimBob,

Got a quick reply from my brother ...

"BB

As I recall the first bullet was a 100gr. ( i THINK THAT'S WHAT IT WEIGHED ) Truncated cone from National Bullet supply and when we ran out we (you) elected to go with the 95gr RN bullet from Moyer's Bullet supply.

In each I used 2.8 Grs of BullsEye powder.

BR"

Both the 95 grain round nose and the 100 grain truncated cone bullets shoot fine out of my P3AT. I can tell you that I was impressed with the TC bullets easily blowing through both sides of a steel water holding tank while .22s out of a Berreta only put a dent in the metal.

Hope this helps,
    Bill K.

9. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    1) WWB - almost always
    2) AE FMJ - pretty regularly
    3) A box of my carry ammo every now and then: GS, DPX, Gold Dots.

Never had a failure since round 1.

10. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I have good luck with Remington UMC, Federal AE, CCI Blazer aluminum, DoubleTap FMJ and Gold Dot, and Corbon DPX in P3AT. Favorite practice ammo depends on price. I bought a bunch of Federal AE some time back, and will be shooting it for a couple/few years after the lone box of Remington UMC disappears off my shelf.