favorite ammo for P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Safety_First, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Safety_First

Safety_First New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Which ammo have you found to work best in your pocket rocket ? I have had good results with Speer Gold Dot jhp's, just wondering what others have found that works for them. My P3At is a first gen with Hard Chrome slide .

2. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    My P3AT is 1st gen with HC as well.  My gun has run great with everything I've put through it.  I've shot CCI aluminum cased Blazers, WWB truncated FMJ, American Eagle, Pow'R Balls, Hornady XTP HP, and Wolf (not gold, but the cheap stuff).  Although the Wolf is very dirty and I probably won't buy any more of it...just too much fouling for my taste.  I can't remember for sure, but I may have used one or two other brands such as Sellier & Bellot or Remington, but I can't remember for sure.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Corbon DPX for carry.  For occassional practice and function check, I have shot a fairly wide variety of brass-cased ammo including Win, Rem, S&B, American Eagle, Blaser Brass, Fiochhi, Aguila, Monarch and no doubt a few others over the years.  

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Corbon DPX for carry - because the little .380 caliber needs every bit of help it can get. Interleaved with American Eagle FMJ just in case I need a bit more penetration. And the AE FMJ is my practice ammo.

-Scott

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Carry ammo in the 3AT (as in all carry guns) is Corbon DPX.

Range work is handled by AE FMJ or WWB FMJ.

6. danger831

danger831 New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    who carries dpx I don't like to carry ammo that it looks like i went out of my way to go find the most powerful ammo made for a certain gun i want to be able to say I just bought what ever they had at walmart , academy or so on if it ever comes down to a trial.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If that works for you, go for it.

I want DPX because my .380 has a flimsy chance at best of stopping an attack and DPX gives me the best chance I've got. There will be no trial if you are dead. Now I am not suggesting that walmart whatevers won't work for you, they probably will...but they might not. Everybody has to have their own comfort level and as long as that comfort level does not endanger others go for it!

-Scott

8. danger831

danger831 New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    when i said who carries dpx I mean what store I can't find it?

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Ahh, slightly different question then I interpreted, obviously. I have had the best luck online. Can't remember where right now.

-Scott

10. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    My gun likes everything. I tried so many but with Sellier & Bellot i have the best groups

11. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I carry a mix of Remington Golden Saber JHP and Santa Barbara TCMJ. Why I prefer a mix of expanding and non-expanding ammo (interleaving) in a P3-AT is a whole other subject that we have discussed many times before, so I won’t go into that here.

Here's why I picked Remington Golden Saber for my expanding round...

If most shots are intended to hit at COM, then the bullet will have to pass through clothing, a small amount of skin and muscle, bone (sternum or rib), then into vital organs. Up until recently, all the tests I had seen left out a very important and significant obstacle - the bone. So, I have always wanted a test that included bone.

OldGranpa has done a test using 3/4" plywood (simulated bone) in front of a wetpack (simulated flesh and organs). Unfortunately he didn't put any clothing in front of the plywood, but many former tests have shown the results of clothing on bullets, so this is not a big deal. You can see the results of this test here (you will have to register if you haven’t already): http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=804.0

In this test, for the first time, DPX did not do very well. When the DPX bullets hit the plywood (bone) they collapsed inwardly and did not expand upon entering the wet pack.

The Golden Sabers in the other hand, did quite well, as they have in most every other test I've seen using a P-3AT. Another plus is, Golden Sabers cost quite a bit less per round than DPX.

So, until proven differently, it will be a mix of Golden Sabers and Santa Barbara for me.

For range use - anything that's inexpensive and funtions well. So far, in my P3-AT, everything I've tried has functioned well.

Here are some places to buy Cor-Bon .380 DPX online.
    Check the shipping costs also for the best combo of Cost+Shipping.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/...-hp-ammo&cName=380-auto-hollow-point-ammo

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40208-48011-176.html

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/index.php?cPath=23_128

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=269505

Bobo

12. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    i've shot mag tech, WWB, and rem express JHP. carry ammo is the rem JHP alternated with WWB. i don't use corbon for the simple reason that nobody where i live carries it in house, and i currently can't afford 100 plus rounds at a dollar a pop to confirm that it'll function. get better financially, i'll highly consider switching to something better.

13. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    How does DPX compare to Double Tap? I currently carry DTs in my P3-AT and PF-9 simply because they are cheaper than DPX. Price is a factor for me as well.

Reggie

14. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    ammunitiontogo.com has the best price on DPX I have found.

I used to carry DPX in my P3AT, but for cost reasons have switched to DoubleTap loaded Gold Dots for carry, and Federal AE for range use.

15. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I used to run just Golden Saber 102gr. I've had good luck with it running nicely in a number of guns.

However, given that its winter, the last three rounds in my mag are American Eagle FMJ. If 4 rounds of JHP are shrugged off, I guess that gives me 3 last chances to stop the fight before I run like heck.

16. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Thanks for that info, Bobo! I do believe you've convinced me on the Golden Saber.

I was going to go with alternating rounds of American Eagle FMJ and Corbon DPX, but I think I'll switch the Corbon to the Golden Saber 102gr JHP.

17. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    What do you guys think about Speer Gold Dots (loaded by Speer). I've been carrying them due to many recommendations from local firearms dealers. I've been thinking of switching to DPX, however, due to the great reviews here and at Bersa Talk (I have a BT380CC too).

If I recall correctly, someone demonstrated that penetration and expansion of DPX exceeded that of Double Tap loaded Gold Dots, so I'd imagine that Speer loaded Gold Dots would perform more poorly.

Double Tap ammo looks to be pretty cost effective but I've never ordered ammo before.

For range work: WWB or AE FMJ

18. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006