Fatigued magazine metal?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by D50boy, May 6, 2011.

1. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I baught a new magazine today so I could have a spare.... but as I took a look at my old mag, I noticed this:

[​IMG]

cracks >:(

Anyone else having this issue?  I usually keep the magazine loaded 24-7 and it's my EDC in my P3AT.  I've swapped the finger exension and wil be using the new mag body as my EDC.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I pulled my mag and looked with 10X loop and did not see any thing.

I wonder what would be the reason for cracking there?

Is the front of your mag showing any impact damaged? where the nose would hit the frame

3. CavMedic

CavMedic New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Hey man, after a good inspection of my magazines I have not seen any cracks. I have carried my pistol on my for over two years now with the same magazine in and nothing. How do you carry it? How often have you shot it? How old is the gun?

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    While not common anymore, it's not unheard of either.

Cracked mags used to be a big problem with 1st. Gen P3AT's.

Come to find out, the barrel feed ramp was hitting the top round in the mag,
    Which caused the infamous "Smiley" bullet nose damage, and also follower damage.
    Which also slammed the round or the follower into the back of the magazine.
    Which caused it to crack eventually, just like yours did.

See this about that:
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

rc

5. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Ah.... Yea, the front of my follower is bashed in. I had sent the gun in a few years ago for the pin walking out and for smileys. They replaced everything except the magazine. I haven't had any smileys on my first gen since the replacement and updated extractor. Would the magazine be covered under warranty?