Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some extra mags for my RFB,
Looking at Thermold or Israeli marked steel mags. Looking for some input on how the Thermold mags are working for people, how the surplus mags are working and where is a good source for mags.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most of the info I've gotten is from threads from many years ago, are the DSA mags better quality than what I was reading?
The DSA mags are clean and good to go out of the package. A lot of surplus mags like the Israeli FAL mags needed a good bit of reconditioning. All of the Israeli mags I bought looked great because they were repainted. None of them fit in the RFB because the paint was too thick and had to be sanded down. The insides were a mess and had to be torn apart and cleaned. Once I did that, the mags were good to go.

The first gen Thermold mags had a double ridge that prevented them from fitting in the RFB magwell. The newer mags got rid of the top ridge, so now mags seat without issue. The older mags are still floating around, however. Easy enough to rectify in about 10 min with a Dremel. Other than that, the Thermold mags have never given me any problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DSA mags are clean and good to go out of the package. A lot of surplus mags like the Israeli FAL mags needed a good bit of reconditioning. All of the Israeli mags I bought looked great because they were repainted. None of them fit in the RFB because the paint was too thick and had to be sanded down. The insides were a mess and had to be torn apart and cleaned. Once I did that, the mags were good to go.

The first gen Thermold mags had a double ridge that prevented them from fitting in the RFB magwell. The newer mags got rid of the top ridge, so now mags seat without issue. The older mags are still floating around, however. Easy enough to rectify in about 10 min with a Dremel. Other than that, the Thermold mags have never given me any problems.
Thanks for the info, it's hard to find any current info on mags

·
Registered
101 Posts
PSA has steel Israeli surplus mags for sale. Check there site. Ones i got look like new. These are the mags the RFB was made for. Fit great, one still had preserve oil on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use only steel surplus mags in my RFB. I got a bunch of plastic RRA mags when I bought my LAR-8. They felt cheap, so they're still sitting in the box they came in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got some thermolds from kel tec, we'll see how they work when I get the RFB. I'm tempted to get some surplus steels to have as well.
Any one have feedback on the thermolds?

·
Registered
5 Posts
DSArms is the best new steel mag option. For high capacity steel mags Search Bren L4 they fit the FAL and the RFB and have 30 round capacity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first experience with the Thermold mags was a bad one. The factory mag that came with the rifle consistently had issues with the follower getting jammed inside the magazine. After contacting Kel Tec about it they sent me a replacement which I haven't been to the range with yet. That first one was enough to scare me off from buying more though. Found a website selling four packs of brand new, unissued Israeli surplus mags still in the original packaging and caked in 20 pounds of cosmoline which kept them absolutely pristine. Probably should have bought a second pack of them while I could.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DSArms is the best new steel mag option. For high capacity steel mags Search Bren L4 they fit the FAL and the RFB and have 30 round capacity.
Where have you found those mags, and did you have to do any modification to them to work in the RFB? I've seen a few floating around but it looks like they would need some work to fit properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Be aware that DSA's new polymer mag is listed as "Will not fit in the RFB.."
I missed that at the very bottom when I ordered mine. I'm not going to buy a magazine that I have to modify to get to work. A friend tried them on his FAL clone and they would not work. Another friend has a real FAL, going to see if he can use them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I just received a box of FAL type magazines. They are steel, as can be seen with the magnet attached to one in the pictures, and they need serious cleaning, but they look to be in pretty good shape. They didn't provide a tracking number and from order to delivery took about 10 days. They are supposed to be of "military surplus in great working order. European military production, not aftermarket." They have positive reviews and the website, RTGParts FAL magazines After I get them cleaned up and go to the range I will provide a range report.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts