Failure To Go Into Battery

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Phalanx, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Help! EGG ON MY FACE! My friend just bought a Black/Blue P3AT after shooting my HC 3AT and listening to me expound on the virtues of my "always" pistol. Well, his new toy - out of the box - was a little stiff and rough...so he asked me to do a F/B on it for him. Well, from the beginning, it was VERY STIFF going into battery loading the first round from the magazine. No problem...or so I thought. Took it apart and did the "routine" F/B and put it back together...with NO parts left over!! ha ha Well...it still does the same thing!!! It will NOT strip the first round from the magazine and chamber it properly...the slide will sometimes travel to within an eighth inch of battery and sometimes will only close about half way. To fully chamber the round, all you only need to slightly "bumb" the back of the slide and the round will completely slide home. BUT once chambered with the first round, at the range, it will fire the complete magazine with NO MALFUNCTIONS!! Go figure.

I did NOT notice any internal differences between his BB one and my HC one. I swapped the ejectors and no difference...my HC one worked fine with his ejector.

After numerous "take apart and put back togethers" and felt discs from my Dremel...I'm at my wits end...please help...how can so few parts cause so many MORE gray hairs???

Thank you in advance for any "words of wisdom" and/or any "you dumb sh.."

v/r
    Phalanx

2. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    You really have to pull back and let the slide fly to chamber the first round on some P3-Ats. It will get better as more rounds are put through it. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. BaileyMoto

BaileyMoto New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I just got mine today and it does the same thing. Although it doesnt bother me much, I was wondering if it would cause it to malfunction while shooting it. Sounds like it isnt a problem? I too figured it would loosen up a bit after putting some rounds through it.

4. Tslepebull

Tslepebull New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    East Freakin' Texas
    I bought mine about 18 months ago. My dealer provided me with an upgraded recoil spring. When I compared it to the origional the inside (smaller diameter) spring was longer than the origional. I experimented with both sets of springs and when I used the shorter one I had the same issue you described. You might want to call Kel-Tec and request the newer spring set.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a habit when I release the slide to bump to besure

6. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    When you say F&B did you use any fine grit sandpaper on the slide where the frame rail cutouts are. You can try some 600 grit on the cutouts to speed up the break in. Not sure what you used as a F&B guide but check this out if you haven't already. I'd only do the ones with the * as shown in the pics, at least for starters.
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm
    Make sure you have it lubed up good for the break in.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No problem... Break it in! Clean, lube, shoot, repeat. :cool:

8. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Mine has always been smooth. I bought it this week and have about 100 rounds through it. The first round after inserting the mag and then jacking the slide, will not go to battery by itself so I have begun the habit of jacking it back and pulling it forward into battery. After that, it's fully semi-auto with no hesitation on the part of the gun. Keep it clean and break it in, cleaning after every shoot (I don't break it down every time but insert a rectangle of wood into the mag well to hold the slide back then clean the barrel with brush and rags and solvent. I then run an oily rag through the barrel and make sure the ramp is cleaned and oiled as well. It will break in, give it a little time and enjoy it!

Dave :D

9. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I had this problem only with some HP ammo as it was hitting the feed ramp and "gaining traction". I wonder if the OP was using ball ammo to test this or something like DPX?

10. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    "Thank you" to everyone for their words of encouragement and support. I've returned to 3AT to it's rightful owner yesterday and let him read all your responses! He feels pretty good about the situation and is looking forward to "breaking it in!"

Just for the record - I was using everything from WWB ball to Hornady 90gr XTP reloads...everything was cosistent...it failed to go into battery with everything!!!

Thank you again to everyone...OUTSTANDING BOARD!!!

v/r
    Phalanx

11. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Sounds like it could use a super feed ramp polish. Mine loves Hornady XTP's. I had problems with DPX, but I have only done a basic F&B. I doesn't stick on ball ammo though.