Failure to fire

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cheez, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I bought a new P3AT yesterday. Got some ammo of various kinds and did a little shooting today. First trigger squeeze, CLICK! Cycled the round out and new round in. Squeeze, CLICK! Cycled round out and inspected both primers. No sign of a firing pin hit whatsoever. The next four rounds went bang. Loaded a new magazine in and fired a couple more rounds then CLICK! Again not even so much as a scratch in the red primer sealant of the Winchester ammo. I ended up having 4 rounds that never got touched by the firing pin. I put these rounds back in a mag and they fired with no problem. Surely this is not a common problem. If so I would say that KT would not be in business long.
    I bought this pistol for concealed summer carry but I will not be carrying if I do not have confidence in it's ability to fire if the need arises.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the problem here?
    Thanks

2. Art_Sr.

Art_Sr. Guest

Could be packing grease in and around the firing pin and spring. Did you clean the gun before going to the range? Spray this area with Break Free and blow out with compressed air then lightly lube with Break Free. If the problem is packing grease this will solve the problem, good luck with your new Kel-Tec.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I never cleaned the pistol prior to shooting it. I looked it over good and loaded it up and that is it. The only new weapon I have ever cleaned prior to use was an SKS that was totally packed in grease. I will clean this pistol real well and go back to the range. Any more problems and it is gone. I should not need to have to work on a new gun for it to function properly.

Thanks for the replies.

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    A proper cleaning and lube for a new KT is pretty much mandatory. It's still dirty from test firing, and the oil in it is for preservation, not lubrication.

5. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I would detail strip and do a thorough cleaning and inspection especially the firing pin channel and components. There was quite a bit of debris in mine.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Well good news. I cleaned the little P3AT and put it back together. SHoots well everytime now. Lots of debris all on the inside of the pistol. Some fairly heavy grease too. Might just have to keep the little guy around for a while now. Thanks for all the tips.

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Glad to hear you were able to fix the problem. I noticed mine was all gunked up too with grease to preserve the pistol. They are very reliable.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Now that I have this thing shooting like it should I went ahead and ordered an Armalaser with the Desantis holster. ;D

9. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    A proper cleaning and lube for a new KT is pretty much mandatory. It's still dirty from test firing, and the oil in it is for preservation, not lubrication.[/quote]

plus one on this. come to think about it any new gun needs it before the range.

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I do not have a problem with cleaning a gun. Although I have never cleaned any of the nine Glocks, three Berettas, five Tauruses and even a Daewoo that I have. The problem I see is the need to "fluff and buff" a new gun. So far I see no need for this.

11. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    It is no 'problem' or required , just an option. Basically all the F&B does is increase the smoothness of operation and reduce some the needed breakin/ wear down of parts in a new firearm(might save some range time/ammo too if all works well). I have F&B and I have skipped it on several Kel Tecs each ended up 100%. I will say the P 32 that the wife picked out was detailed F&Bed and runs as smooth as any 1000 $ gun as I spent hours making sure it was perfect. She had her choice of 'any' handgun for her ccw. She went w/ the P 32 as she liked the size and wt. She shoots it very well and the detailed F&B plus a few hundred rounds were well worth it in my pc of mind. I own a 'few' guns besides Kel Tecs , I'd never shoot a new one ,ever with out a full cleaning/inspection and lube before hand. To do otherwise is negligent and lazy in MO.

13. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Cheez

Allow me to offer my apology for recommending you improve the function of your new firearm and providing the instructions on how to do it. I didn't realize it would offend you.

Best of luck with your new Kel-Tec.

GL

14. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It is no 'problem' or required , just an option. Basically all the F&B does is increase the smoothness of operation and reduce some the needed breakin/ wear down of parts in a new firearm(might save some range time/ammo too if all works well). I have F&B and I have skipped it on several Kel Tecs each ended up 100%. I will say the P 32 that the wife picked out was detailed  F&Bed and runs as smooth as any 1000 $ gun as I spent hours making sure it was perfect. She had her choice of 'any' handgun for her ccw. She went w/ the P 32 as she liked the size and wt. She shoots it very well and the detailed F&B plus a few hundred rounds were well worth it in my pc of mind. I own a 'few' guns besides Kel Tecs , I'd never shoot a new one ,ever with out a full cleaning/inspection and lube before hand. To do otherwise is negligent and lazy in MO. [/quote]
    +1 Every gun must be cleaned and inspected before you shoot it the first time. To do otherwise, is to risk life and limb unnecessarily. As far as working on a gun for reliability, I do this with every gun I own regardless of make and model. This includes my LCP, both of my KTs, mine and my wife's XDs, all my revolvers, rifles, etc. All guns are mechanical devises that can fail catastrophically. On top of that, KTs are pushing the laws of physics with their ultra light slides. That means they need pampered a bit usually. They also require gun grease in addition to gun oil. GoldenLoki has a detailed lube guide here on KTOG. It's a good idea. I've used his recommendations exclusively because his guidelines work. The man knows his KTs.

15. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I am the one that should apologize GL. I am sorry if I came off as being offended at you for trying to help me out. I was just a little po'd when my brand new pistol would not function properly. This is a learnning curve for me. I have been a Glock man for just over 20 years and I guess I expect all guns to come ready to run out of the box.
    Please accept my apologies as I do not want to get off on the wrong foot right out of the gate on this great forum.

16. Rounder1106

Rounder1106 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Yeah....buy a Glock 26.

;D ;D ;D I'm kidding guys.....the P3AT is a good gun as long as you keep that damn thing clean and lubed with both oil and grease.

17. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    No worries Cheez. It is frustrating when a product doesn't work as you expect. I have a Poulan chainsaw that I am considering taking a sledge hammer to.

Like billjohnso20, I don't own a gun that I haven't worked on (by choice, not necessity) It is hard to control the urge to fiddle with other peoples guns too  :)

GL

18. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I would like someone to tell me why grease over oil on the slide ? I seem to be geting mixed reports on the right way to care for my P3AT. I was told grease will slide back and gunk up, where as oil will not but does not provide as good lubrication, however it is adequate. I am sure there are a lot of opions and I would really like to hear them. I have been using just oil since I read one of the blogs clearly recommend oil only..grease never. I hope this is not considered posting within a post and appreciate your opinion.

19. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    'Cause it lubricates better and stays on longer.

If the grease migrates, you are using too much.

FWIW all oil will work fine too.

GL