Failure to Fire

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RPM_64, Feb 27, 2010.

1. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    First let me say I love this thing. Went to the range with my wife this morning and a box of BLAZER Brass FMJ.
    Out of the 50 rounds she fired, 5 of them were Failure to fire. The strike on the primer was perfect on each of the 5 rounds. I was able to load each of the rounds back into the magazine and fire them with no issue.

I had no problem with 2 magazines of the same ammo (brought from another box) should I assume it was just the normal break in and is somewhat expected OR was she not holding the gun properly.

For what it's worth she fired many rounds through a couple of my other guns without issue.

I read most of the failure to fire posts and cannot find the answer so I started this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    If the gun is old enought to not have the anti-short stroke hammer block (about pre-May08), she may have short stroked the trigger. This will drop the hammer off the hammer block resulting in a light strike. On those earlier guns, you must allow the trigger to return fully forward, 2 clicks, if you listen closely.

Otherwise it could have been a batch of ammo with hard primers. Another possiblity is gunk in the firing pin channel. Finally, a weak hammer spring could also be the culprit. I'd clean, lube, and try different ammo next time and see how she does.

3. low-side

low-side New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    When I got my P3AT, I was glad I disassembled it first because I found a chip large enough to tangle with the firing pin in the channel. I found it before firing it and had no issues.
  4. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks guy's, I'll strip and clean it real good.
  5. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Stripped, cleaned, looks good. I even called Kel-Tec and they said they don't see an issue. They said send more lead down range... ;D
    Just ordered another one in hard chrome from a member (dealer) here. This current one will go with my wife since she liked it and did very well with it. :cool: