Failure to Fire

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RPM_64, Feb 27, 2010.

1. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    First let me say I love this thing. Went to the range with my wife this morning and a box of BLAZER Brass FMJ.
    Out of the 50 rounds she fired, 5 of them were Failure to fire. The strike on the primer was perfect on each of the 5 rounds. I was able to load each of the rounds back into the magazine and fire them with no issue.

I had no problem with 2 magazines of the same ammo (brought from another box) should I assume it was just the normal break in and is somewhat expected OR was she not holding the gun properly.

For what it's worth she fired many rounds through a couple of my other guns without issue.

I read most of the failure to fire posts and cannot find the answer so I started this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If the gun is old enought to not have the anti-short stroke hammer block (about pre-May08), she may have short stroked the trigger. This will drop the hammer off the hammer block resulting in a light strike. On those earlier guns, you must allow the trigger to return fully forward, 2 clicks, if you listen closely.

Otherwise it could have been a batch of ammo with hard primers. Another possiblity is gunk in the firing pin channel. Finally, a weak hammer spring could also be the culprit. I'd clean, lube, and try different ammo next time and see how she does.

3. low-side

low-side New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    When I got my P3AT, I was glad I disassembled it first because I found a chip large enough to tangle with the firing pin in the channel. I found it before firing it and had no issues.

4. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks guy's, I'll strip and clean it real good.

5. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Stripped, cleaned, looks good. I even called Kel-Tec and they said they don't see an issue. They said send more lead down range... ;D
    Just ordered another one in hard chrome from a member (dealer) here. This current one will go with my wife since she liked it and did very well with it. :cool: