Failure to fire/ Light primer strike

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by thess416, Dec 23, 2008.

1. thess416

thess416 New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I bought my new P-3AT about a month and a half ago, approximately two weeks after buying it I had the chance to take it to the range for the first time. The following is a copy of my E-Mail sent on Friday, December 12, 2008 12:05 PM to Kel-Tec describing the incident which to this point has not been responded to.... Can anyone give me some advice?

"I just bought a brand new P-3AT about 2 weeks ago at the gun show in Raleigh, NC. I fired it for the first time the other day, in the first 3 clips (one in each clip) I had 3 rounds fail to fire. When I inspected the rounds the only thing I could tell was causing it was a light hit on the primer. The first two times I re-chambered the round and it fired without problem, the third round I saved. I was using brand new factory ammunition (Winchester 95gr FMJ)."

To elaborate on the details... When the light primer strike occurred I was slow firing as to get a feel of the accuracy. After firing the first round I only let the trigger out to the re-set point. If memory stands it was always the 3rd round that failed to fire. After the third misfire I began shooting rapid fire, I shot a total of 50 rounds and had no other misfires. Is this a factory defect? Does the trigger have to be let all the way out as opposed to only going to the re-set?

Anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my primary concealed carry weapon.

2. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    hi,

it sounds like you're "short stroking" the trigger.  it also sounds like you have an older hammer block.  you do have to let the trigger fully reset before firing the next round or you'll get light primer strikes.  kel-tec has a new hammer block assembly that prevents the light strike from occurring.  

here's a link that further discusses the issue:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1226873210/5#5

kb

3. thess416

thess416 New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    kbizzle, Sounds like your right. I went to your link and read the info and I do have the older model. The new hammer block, all that does is keeps you from being able to pull the trigger back once you've hit the re-set click right? Doesn't really sound like I need a new one if I'm aware of the problem.

Thanks for the info.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I agree that you were short-stroking the trigger.  I also agree that you don't "need" the new hammer block.  Kel-tec made them that way for many years.  Just allow the trigger to fully reset. The changed part was only several months ago.  If you wish to change the hammer block, KT service will send you one for free.  Personally, I haven't "upgraded" any of mine yet.  I have yet to short-stroke one.  It is apparently more common among those accustomed to shooting Glocks which apparenly have an earlier reset.  

5. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    sure thing - enjoy your new P3AT.  good to know that someone else in the Triangle area is also packing a kel-tec!

6. thess416

thess416 New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    ha ha, you don't know just how right you are. I carried a Glock 23 for years. Letting the trigger out only to the reset makes the follow up shot a heck of a lot easier and quicker, and I've found that I shoot a tighter group as well.

Maybe if more of us around the triangle did actually carry we wouldn't have the problems we do.