Failure to Feed Fix (at least in this case)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HET45, Jul 7, 2008.

1. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    My buddy shagged a P3AT and we found it had failure to feed problems with Winchester UMC FMJ rounds.

I polished the ramp and bore but the problems still existed.

The second time in I noticed a hang up point while feeding a round with the barrel out of the gun at the junction of the feed ramp and the bore when I pushed it in at the same angle that the slide feeds the round.

The bullet seemed to hang at the point the bullet head met the case at the ramp / bore area.

I carefully rounded that area of the barrel knowing that if too much metal is taken off it could be a dangerous condition.  The case is not supported if too much metal is removed and it could split and blow the magazine out and hurt your hand.  I have seen this happen.

I repeat, not much metal was removed, just rounded off a bit.

This seemed to do the trick and the gun began feeding normally.

Here is a picture of the area in question.

[​IMG]

2. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    Nice tweak, glad you got it running. Prior to the "shag" , how many rounds do you think have been fired through it? Either case, it works, try some JHP's , hope the results are the same.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Nice. Good job. I may take a look at that area again on wifey's and see if that has any effect on manually feeding that first round?

-Scott

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1215483512]This Thread[/link]

5. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Don't know because it is a pre-used gun but I suspect fail to feeds was the reason that it was pre-used.

6. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008

shag=snagged???  j/w 'cause I use shag for a different meaning.... ;)

7. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    What you did is a good idea to do to any auto loader with sharp edges on the feed ramp. Rounding it off just a bit is pretty save as long as you don't start grinding the area away in the chamber.

I customized a .45 AMT hardballer years ago and that was one of the first things I did when polishing the feed ramp. Actually every gunsmithing book I read suggested removing quite a lot of material going into the chamber compared to what little material you did. I don't remember the exact amount since it been probably 20 years now but I still have the books showing the how to details.

8. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    It's always best to take a little and try the result before taking more. I agree that this breakover area needs to be round. If there is an edge there, it will be more prone to feeding problems. Nice work 380 guy, thanks for the info.

David

9. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Good to know!

10. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Did a similar fix on an early production SUB9. It has no feed ramp in the chamber portion & the edge of the chamber was sharp. I was having quite a few jams. Rounded that edge with my Dremel & polish & it now runs great.