Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

Just want to seek out some advice before I take any other actions. Here's the situation:

-brand new gen 2 S2K Glock 9mm
-using Winchester 145gr. FMJ
-when loading the stock G22 (Correction: not G22) magazine to a full ten rounds (limit in Canada), releasing the bolt almost always results in a jam on chambering the first round
-the nose of the bullet gets stuck on the bottom of the chamber
-if it does feed the first round, the second round always jams in the same manner after firing (of course this time with a decent deformation of the nose
-sometimes, the third round will jam
-rounds 4 through 10 have never jammed once, not if by firing or by manually cycling the bolt
-I put about 200 rounds through it and nothing changed
-I don't have another magazine to try, I don't have any other ammo to try at the moment

So, is the problem the rifle? the magazine? the ammo? I don't see how it can be the ammo if it's only on the first 1-3 rounds... Seems to me like perhaps the magazine spring is somehow pushing up too hard on the feeding round and tipping it down at the last second?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Are you sure it's a Glock 22 magazine? The G22 is a .40 caliber pistol. You should have a G17 or G19 mag which is for a 9mm version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it's a Glock 22 magazine? The G22 is a .40 caliber pistol. You should have a G17 or G19 mag which is for a 9mm version.
Ok you're probably right. The mag says 9mm. I was under the impression that was G22.

It's the stock mag that came with the S2K, of course.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
A combination of cartridge OAL and bullet profile combined with the full magazine might be the culprit. I would try a different cartridge first. I would suggest anything but Winchester in a 115 or 124 grain FMJ. If the problem persists, try a different magazine. Unfortunately there have been a lot of problems with 10 round factory Glock magazines (even in Glock pistols). The rifle and the magazine were never designed to accept that modification.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
This^ .
Have you tried just 5 rounds?
Disassemble and check the magazine.
His first post said that rounds 4-10 feed reliably.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Hi folks,

Just want to seek out some advice before I take any other actions. Here's the situation:

-brand new gen 2 S2K Glock 9mm
-using Winchester 145gr. FMJ
-the nose of the bullet gets stuck on the bottom of the chamber
-if it does feed the first round, the second round always jams in the same manner after firing (of course this time with a decent deformation of the nose
Thoughts?
If you are pulling the charging handle completely to the rear before releasing it to load the first round, there should be no difference in the deformation of the bullet nose between the 1st and 2nd rounds. The full bolt travel from the full aft position will produce the same bolt speed and impact no matter how it got there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you lubed it? Are you holding it tight to your shoulder when firing? Are you kind of riding the bolt forward on the first round, or letting it fly? Have you looked at the FAQ? Specifically this thread?

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f85/multiple-stove-pipes-231435/
I wiped off the lube it came coated with a put a little lube of my own on. I am holding it tight. Both letting the bolt fly and riding it forward produces the same result. I have not checked that thread, but I will now, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A combination of cartridge OAL and bullet profile combined with the full magazine might be the culprit. I would try a different cartridge first. I would suggest anything but Winchester in a 115 or 124 grain FMJ. If the problem persists, try a different magazine. Unfortunately there have been a lot of problems with 10 round factory Glock magazines (even in Glock pistols). The rifle and the magazine were never designed to accept that modification.
I've just picked up some new rounds and I'll give them a try. 124gr American Eagle, I believe.

That's a good point about the magazine. I was surprised it wasn't just a pinned standard cap mag but a full on 10-rounder. The store owner said she'd have some glock mags in next week that we can swap and try out if these new rounds don't do the trick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are pulling the charging handle completely to the rear before releasing it to load the first round, there should be no difference in the deformation of the bullet nose between the 1st and 2nd rounds. The full bolt travel from the full aft position will produce the same bolt speed and impact no matter how it got there.
Yes, you're right. I should have remembered my physics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bit of an update.

I haven't had the chance to fire the new rounds I bought, but I tried loading them and they fed without a hitch every time. I believe the following photo will illustrate why:

Cartridge on the left is the Winchester that jams, on the right the AE that doesn't.

So, it seems this S2K doesn't particularly like the heavier round with the flat-nosed bullet profile. Not the end of the world, I suppose.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I wiped off the lube it came coated with a put a little lube of my own on. I am holding it tight. Both letting the bolt fly and riding it forward produces the same result. I have not checked that thread, but I will now, thanks.
I am not aware of any manufacturer of self feeding firearms that doesn't warn against riding the bolt forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.