Failure to feed first round. Every time!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Biggie313, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Biggie313

Biggie313 Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Bought my p3at new, 2nd generation. Cleaned it, took to range, shoot 100 rounds. Maybe 3 FTE. Took it home, cleaned again, shoot it a week later, 2 FTE in 50 rounds. Noticed that when I put a full mag in, rack the slide, the first round gets caught on the ramp feed. I thought it was because I wasn't pushing the mag all the way in. Took it home, cleaned, and did the fluff and buff. Now about 75% of the time I try to chamber the first round it sticks in the ramp feed. Help. I did not over polish the ramp I dont think. What else could be wrong? I have a total of 150 rounds through it now, but if this keeps happening I cant see how I can break it in any more. If i touch the front of the barrel while the round is stuck it will chamber, and if i rack the slide it will eject, but the 2nd round will fail to feed.

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Be sure when you rack the slide that you pull it all the way back and then release it like you would a slingshot. This isn't the time to baby it. Also, be sure the chamber is clean. Do a good cleaning every 50 rounds.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

another thing I do is after racking the slide, immediately bump the slide with the palm of the free hand to "feel" that slide is at battery.

4. Biggie313

Biggie313 Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I know the chambers clean. The slide sticks open because the round is stuck on the ramp feed. I will watch how I rack it, but pretty sure I am doing it right.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Also check the magazine spring is installed with the angle of the coils to match the follower, ie high end forward.
    if reversed, the nose of the mag follower will cant down

I had new P32 mags with the springs reversed (had feed problem prior to correcting)

6. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010

Hi Biggie,

First off, Welcome to KTOG. Congrats on the new P3AT.

For what it's worth, I bought a new P3AT back in July and had pretty much the same experience you are describing. I simply continued to shoot it, clean it and keep it well lubed. I think it took mine about 200 rounds before it completely smoothed out.

I would encourage you to stay the course. Don't give up.  Shoot it, clean it, lube it up really good, and practice racking the slide on an empty gun, being certain to allow the slide to slingshot back.

Once the little gun gets broken in, you shouldn't notice this problem any more. I think the more you shoot the gun, the more you'll like it and get your peace of mind about carrying it for self protection. If you continue to have problems, the good folks here are always more than willing to help a guy out with a problem.

Good luck.

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, I had the same problem and still do if I don't rack it back all the way very fast and let the slide fly forward. HP's usually are the culprit with the first round not feeding. There is nothing wrong with your firearm.
    Rack it and let go as if it was firing and feeding the next round. I did not care for pushing it forward with my palm. Snap it back all the way and let go!! Good luck.

8. jboze

jboze New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    I have two right now, a First and Second Generation. They both do this, if I pull the slide back and and try to watch the round go in. If I just rack it back and let it go, it works everytime. Just Rack it!

9. Biggie313

Biggie313 Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Ok. I think part of the problem was I was holding the slide open, looking in it to try and figure out whats wrong, then letting it fly. I will practice more on my form and get out this weekend and shoot about 100 through it. Havnt checked the mags, but I tried the 2 I have and both have same problem. Might need to lube it up a little better also.

10. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    Mines been perfect since I got the new style extract a year or so ago.I still get first round hang up from time to time if I'm lazy with the rack.You really have to be vigorous and snap it back.

11. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    By the way I'm old school.I use palm over slide rack.Not the two finger pinch technique.(Is it old school?)

12. 17-Shooter

17-Shooter New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    If the round only sticks when the slide is operated manually then the problem is with the way the slide is being manipulated. If the rounds feed fine when fired, then they'll feed fine when the slide is cleanly released from all the way back. My advice is to not consciously try to "release" your grip on the slide. Simply retract the slide and let your hand slide off the back of it in one smooth motion, without "letting go".