Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new model P3AT has developed a disconcerting habit of occasionally only partially removing a spent shell from the chamber. I've replaced the extractor assembly and thought I'd found some .380 shells with a slightly wider rim but that didn't seem to help.

What I think is happening is that as the barrel drops out of battery it pulls smaller diameter shells down far enough to disengage the extractor before the shell is fully extracted,
Would doubling up on the extractor spring (I've still got the old parts) help?

On my blow back 380 the barrel is fixed and the extractor stays engaged to the shell rim til it's kicked out the ejection port. Now my similar style extractor on a PF9 doesn't exhibit this problem

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I was going to try the same thing recently, but a new extractor kit solved my extraction issues. Since the new one isn't working and you have the original part, give it a try. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've installed the new extractor kit and tried using Winchester white box FMJFP and remingotn peters 102 grain JHP and using a very stiff arm. Seems to be working almost like it was when I first bought it

May pull out my 380 dies and try reloading some 115 grain JHP and see just how they function

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to give you all an update. First I went back and re read all of your comments and thought well what would it hurt to try bending the spring. Great now we;re throwing the rounds that fired out of the chamber. Trouble now was only one in three or four rounds were going bang. No primer hits. Back to the forum and figured out when I re installed the spring, I wasn't real careful in ensuring the firing pin was in the right position. quick check and sure enough it wasn't. There really ought to be a special tool for installing the firing pin. the space is too small for a finger and most of my probes were too big to go in straight. Long story short finally got it in and tried the pistol with a speer plastic bullet - seeing if the firing pin would pop it out of the barrel - 10 for ten.

Just finished range testing with real ammo and it shoots like a champ again.

Thanks to all of yu for all of your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.