Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my P-3AT for about 3 years and have about 1000-1500 rounds through it.  It was reliable
until about 3 months ago when I started to experience failures to eject.  At first it was a failure every
twenty rounds or so and it has now deteriorated to about one failure each five rounds.

The failure happens regardless of factory ammo, reloads, different shooters, light charge, heavier charge etc.

I just put in new recoil springs, extractor, extractor spring and associated screw.  Problem still exists.

Is it time to send it back to the factory or are there add'l things I should try first?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
make sure the ejector is still there. if it is, :-/

·
Administrator
32,132 Posts
Hmm...  It looks like you've done all of what I would recommend.  It's a bit unusual and you'd probably best send it in.

Shipping a handgun can be something of a PITA.  Options are:
1.  Ship insured "machine parts" for about $10....
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm
2.  Have your gunshop ship it and you pay.  (They can ship cheaper via US mail).
3.  I've heard that UPS and/or Fed Ex now have a 2nd day air for guns at a cheaper rate than the normal overnight $50 charge.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
is it the rim of the spent case getting stuck on the mouth of the next round?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ejector is in place. I might add that about a third of the time I
have failure to eject, the action cycles but the fired shell casing
remains in the chamber. I have religiously kept the chamber
clean.

If Keltec just requires the slide, barrel and associated parts; can
I just send the box of parts to them with no restriction?

·
Administrator
32,132 Posts
roberet44 said:
If Keltec just requires the slide, barrel and associated parts; can
I just send the box of parts to them with no restriction?
Legally, yes.  The serialed aluminum block frame is the "gun".  You can call service and ask if you can just send in the top end, but they probably prefer you to send the gun in.  There could be some issue involving the frame-grip fit or something.  Who knows?  You've already changed the usual suspects (parts).  On the upside, especially if you ask in your note, they will go over the entire weapon and possibly replace a bunch of parts for free. You could ask very nicely for a call tag where they pick up shipping but, in accordance with the warranty, I would expect them to decline. Sometimes they will do that on a gun that failed NIB or one that has already been returned for service and still has a problem.  

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might also add that there is some unusual wear
on the bottom rear of the slide on side opposite
of the ejector side and about as far back as the rear
of the firing pin. There is also some wear on
the corresponding part of the frame.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I'm just thinking...

has the magazine catch worn and the magazine lower.

with the slide off, round in the mag, mag push down as far as catch allows...the minimum diameter of the rim is just above, looking across the top of the frame for mine

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The magazine latch is fine. I have always made a point of pressing
the button down while inserting a magazine and not just pushing
the magazine in.

·
Administrator
32,132 Posts
Oh yea!  Check the little hex head extractor screw.  Is it snug?  If it loosens, even a little, extraction problems are extremely likely. I realize you changed the extractor but if you haven't checked the screw, do that.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
In my opinion the extractor claw should engage the case head in the position shown in the somewhat blurry cell phone pics below.

With the slide removed, slide a cartridge case up the breach face and note the point where it stops when the claw of the extractor engages the extraction groove in the case.

As you can see, about 1/2 of the firing pin hole in the breach face is covered by the case rim.

This tells you how far down the breach face the case head can slide and still be engaged by the extractor.

Lower is better from the point of view of extraction, but too low and feeding of a fresh cartridge up the breach face will be compromised, leading to a failure to feed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The screw is snug. In this area I have used an etching stylus
to put a mark on the screw and a corresponding mark on the
extractor spring. If the marks continue to line up, the screw
is snug. I did double check anyway with the hex wrench.

The cartridge case lines up similar to the pictures in the prior post.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had an extractor in a brand new pistol that didn't work. You might have gotten a bad one. Maybe order another one, or overbend it to get more force out of the one you have.

G2S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts