Fail to Fire

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rosieK, Mar 25, 2010.

1. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    For the first time, using ammo that I have never used before in the 3AT(Sellier Belloit), several cartridges failed to fire--I heard the click of the trigger and the firing pin but "nothing". Looking at cartridge after ejecting, I noticed a slight "dent" in the cartridge, where the pin actually hit the cartridge but it just did not result in a discharge. Asked someone in the gunshop and was told that with the 3AT and its "soft" (I think that was the word) pin, sometimes cartridges can fail to fire. Everything else I tried today (we are now talking about the good stuff--Federal hydra, and speer gold) fired fine. As a matter of fact I reloaded several of the cartridges that did not fire the first time into the mag and they fired this second time. Other S&B cartridges in that box also fired on the first try. Explanations? Comments? Interested in others with similar experience and reasons for same.

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    ;D The P3AT ain't soft ( it is a light wt firing pin and super light hammer that rely on speed over mass), but the primers in S&B and some other foreign makes are hard primers. Some times the two don't match.

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  4. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Hard primers aren't unusual, they do reveal that you weren't working with much margin on the "soft" primers.

Could be debris in the firing pin channel. - Dis-assemble and clean.

Since you have it apart, chamfer the breech side of the firing pin hole (turn drill bit a few sizes bigger than the hole by hand), polish the outer surface of the firing pin (do not sharpen), run a drill bit in and out of the firing pin hole by hand to deburr it. Re-clean, re-assemble.

GL

5. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I've got about 1000 rounds through mine now and the ONLY FTF's (feed or fire) that I have experienced to date have been while using the Sellier Belloit ammo

Fortunately, I only bought/used one box... I won't use their products again
    (I could "feel" a significant seam where the bullet met the brass on their cartridges, as well as whatever "sealant" S&B uses on their ammo)

Well..... whatever the reason, that's the only one I've had trouble with

6. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    thanks guys. from the replies it would seem that S&B is not made for my 3, which seems to have been the case with others. Some of it worked so I got my money's worth. It was available and with 380 practice ammo being rare, it helped a bit. Again, thank you for your replies.

7. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    My 3AT eats S&B just fine; somewhere around 600 rounds to date. (Actually, its done well with everything I fed it so far.)
    And I've never had a problem with S&B ammunition in any of my firearms.

That said, I do believe that S&B uses a primer that is harder than one that most US manufactuters use.

Bottom line, if it doesn't work in your pistol, don't use it.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    S&B has a reputation for hard primers that are right on the edge of what will or will not ignite in some P3ATs and P32s. You might be able to make if function better by servicing the FP as Goldenloki described. Had you bought 1000 rounds of S&B, another approach would be to clip a couple of coils from the FP spring to shoot that ammo. Assuming you just bought the one box, I'd just change ammo, or keep refeeding them in the mag. They usually fire on the 2nd hit. Of course you wouldn't want to defend you life with the stuff. :-/

9. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hey Tx: They did fire on the second try. While I am on this thread of mine--anyone have experience with Fiocchi 380 in a 3AT. Ammo to go had some in stock today.

10. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I have shot the Fiocchi a couple of years ago and didn't have any problems. It was FMJ. The only brand that I have had trouble with in my P3 was Wolf which I fortunately had only bought 1 box. Currently, I am shooting WWB and American Eagle with no problems when I go practice. For carry, I use Remington Golden Sabres.

Now my PF-9 is another story....

11. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    My back up mag is loaded w/Fiocchi, I've got over 300 rnds through a couple of mine... it's a little dirty, and a little hot.  Just like I like it.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Generally speaking, yes, Fiocchi is good stuff. I have shot it in most calibers at one time or another. Like other Eurpoean stuff, it is often loaded a little on the hot side and is usually competively priced. I like it.

13. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks y'all--appreciate your responsive answers to my questions.