Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask KT what ammo they use to test the FP9 at the factory and this is what they said.
Megtech HP 115 gr
Remington Golden Saber HP 124 gr
Federal Hydra shook HP 115 gr
Hornedy HP 115 gr
Speer Gold Dot HP 115gr
Fiochi FMJ 115gr
Federal Premium Personel Defense Reduced Recoil 135 gr Hydra shook HP

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I understand a lot of HP ammo as this is considered a personal defense gun first, I'd think they would consider what most of us use at the range, cheap Wally World ammo. Maybe the 'dreaded' FTEx issue might have been solved a bit quicker.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
The only guns I know of that are made to shoot super-crappy 9mm ammo are revolvers made by Ruger, Taurus and (if they ever release the 9mm version) Charter Arms - they'll "feed" and fire ANYTHING in 9mm. A company could go bankrupt trying to design a semi-auto 9mm that is designed specifically to fire crappy ammo like Winchester White Box, Wolf, and Tulammo because no matter how good the gun is, the ammo is still CRAP. Although the Ruger P-Series pistols have been known to digest just about anything you put in them with almost revolver-like reliability, so maybe that's not entirely impossible ... but still, it ain't gonna happen in a PF9. The only thing I wish Kel-Tec had done or would do is stick with the P11's extractor design and ditch the funky Frankenbolt setup on the PF9 and P3AT because it just seems to be a kind of flimsy/faulty design in some ways. I've only had one FTE on my PF9 so far (bringing the grand total to 2 malfunctions within the first 190 rounds), and it was with the same Federal Champion 115gr FMJ ammo that I always feed all of my centerfire pistols for practice - dunno if that qualifies as "cheap Wally World ammo" but I did buy it there and it does run just a hair cheaper than WWB but a buck or so more than the crappy steel-cased Tulammo stuff. Never had any issues with it in any other guns, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts