Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enclosed is a step-by-step walk thru outlining the fabrication and installation of a spare magazine holder for the Kel-Tec Sub2000. The intent/goals of the mod is to:
1. Ability to store a 33 round Glock mag on the carbine.
2. No loss of guns controls or handling characteristics
3. Components completely removable
4. Not to add additional excess bulk. Keep the spare magazine tucked into the gun
5. Not loose folding capability
6. Meshes with guns appearance.

Glock magazine and belt clip magazine holder to hack and attach to gun. Uncle Mikes Single magazine holder for glock type mags.

mag inserted into belt mag holder, back side view

general location of mount

pry up retaining clip

slide out backing

mag in holder with backing off

will need to fabricate new backing, use .063 aluminum sheet, this gage will friction fit into the removed backing slot

trim

file

deburr edges with this tool. Note this sample was version 2.0

old backing and new backing. The magazine does not friction fit, will need to shim inside to support the mag

need to make a base plate. Use .125 inch aluminum sheet stock. 3.5 inches x .80 inches x .125 gage

base plate onto of mag holder back plate

Co-locate mounting holes from a Red Lion Rail

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

drill and countersink holes to accept mounting fasteners

use this tool to measure stack-up to select appropriate grip length

close-up of tool and stainless steel metric flush fasteners needed

quick mount check of base plate

make sure threaded end of fasteners do not contact barrel

will mount mag holder to base plate here

orientation of parts

locate mounting holes along centerline of mag holder backing (drill and countersink)

tap kit (thread maker)

tap holes into base plate

mounted and tapped base plate

Primer and paint parts (sand, 400 grit, primer 1x coat, and paint 2x coats) light sand between coats

parts painted, protect threads of base plate by installing screws into holes

add camo to mag cover

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

drill small hole to accept Allen key, this is needed for installation of flush fastener connecting mag holder to base plate

Add camo to gage up inner side, this will take-up mag slack allowing the mag a small interference fit

finished parts ready to install

camo'd parts

attach base plate, use thread locker

install mag holder to base plate

mid flush fastener installed

base plate installed

finished right side view

top rear view, no magazine contact with gun

fwd view

folded view, still folds for transport

overlay view.

observations and review:
1. Overall very happy with results
2. No loss of handling, although I would recommend the angled for-arm grip as some loss of holding would occur without for-arm mounted grip
3. Blends with carbine nicely. Does not look funny.
4. fairly simple fabrication. Need .063 and .125 gage aluminum sheet and several small flush fasteners
Enjoy!
Keithm

·
Registered
397 Posts
dude you are freakin good at this. i went for the major pandemic style spare mag holder option on mine, it holds the 15 rounders and is cut into the standard plastic kt forend. nice lookin rig.

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Nicely done. I went this route several years ago.

I found these while looking for something else (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Double-Stack-Mag-Case-Matte-Finish,1368,82.htm). Took me most of an evening, a sharp knife, some needle files, and a couple punctures in my hand (they'll heal). When all is said and done, IF the full mags up there aren't too heavy, I'll have stored 60 rds of magazine on and in the weapon.

On the left as received. On the right after mod. It was NOT an exact picatinny width, so I had to remove material from both sides as well as the raised area down the center. They can be added or removed from the rail as needed using the spring loaded tabs. In practice I don't think these would work very well with 30 - 33 round magazines. I don't think there is enough friction area once a fully loaded long mag is installed. Yours may have mine beat in that regard.

Mounted to the left side of the quad rail.

·
Registered
246 Posts
3wbdriver said:
Nicely done. I went this route several years ago. I found these while looking for something else (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Double-Stack-Mag-Case-Matte-Finish,1368,82.htm). Ordered 2 and have modified one so far. Took me most of this evening, a sharp knife, some needle files, and a couple punctures in my hand (they'll heal). When all is said and done, IF the full mags up there aren't too heavy, I'll have stored 60 rds of magazine on and in the weapon. On the left as received. On the right after mod. It was NOT an exact picatinny width, so I had to remove material from both sides as well as the raised area down the center. They can be added or removed from the rail as needed using the spring loaded tabs. In practice I don't think these would work very well with 30 - 33 round magazines. I don't think there is enough friction area once a fully loaded long mag is installed. Yours may have mine beat in that regard. Mounted to the left side of the quad rail.
This post by 3wb actually made me hunt for the elusive sub2000. I got mine but havent done anything on it yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts