Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been researching optics choices for my SU-16C (with original folding stock). I think I finally settled on a TruGlo Tru-Brite open red dot sight up front, backed up by a 3x magnifier in flip-to-side mount. I figure this will give me the close-in effectiveness of an open red-dot but the flexibility to have a little more accuracy out to 100-150 yds.

The problem is i see a few different eye-reliefs listed in some of the magnifiers I'm looking at. Specifically, I'm lookinga t Primary Arms house brand of magnifiers. They offer one for about 70, and another (newer version) with "extended eye relief" for about 40 bucks more. The difference in eye-relief is 1.9" vs 2.8" I will get the longer-relief one if it is needed, but would love to save the $40 bucks if i could.

I'm guessing that between the relative shortness of the Charlie stock, and the fact that the magnifier will be mounted at the rear of the rail, the shorter relief (and cheaper) one will work, but I was hoping you guys who have already played around with optics on your Charlie could give me some feedback before I order. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
1.9 inches is pretty short for when the recoil goes off..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody? C'mon, I know LOTS of you guys have optics mounted on your Charlies (I've seen the pics). What eye relief does yours have, and how well does that work for you? Pics would be helpful too (to judge mounting location, etc). Thanks guys!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just bought this Aim sports 4x32. Has 3" eye relief. i wouldn't suggest anything above a .223/5.56 and the fact that its compact means you may have to lean forward with standard setups.

I know that's not a keltec but if gives you an idea of the setup. I can get away with one ring because a .22 doesn't have much kick and the scope is short to begin with.

Man, wish I hadn't gifted my SU16c.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AO, with the scope mounted as in your picture, is it easy/natural to get a good sight picture? Or do you have to pull your head back/forward from where it naturally sits with the weapon shouldered? I'm asking because your eyepiece looks pretty far back, and if it works well for you there with a 3-1/2" eye relief, I imagine the cheaper of the magnifiers I'm looking at (with only 1.9" of eye relief, and shorter physical length than your scope) would make me have to scoot my head forward quite a bit to get a good view. I guess maybe I need to get home today, mount my SU to my shoulder, and see where my eye naturally ends up. Then hopefully from pictures of the magnifier and its listed dimensions I can get some idea of where it's eyepiece will end up when mounted.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
It is a little un-natural...and I do have to pull my head back a bit...still working on the set up.
When I first installed it, I forgot about the piston tube angleing up upon disassembly..it hit the front scope bell and I could not clean the gun..which is why the scope is that far back.
My scope is as far forward as it can possably be and still be able to strip the weapon..tollerence is so close that I cannot strip the weapon with the scope caps on!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I've since changed mine, went to a 3-9x32 Leapers, no riser rail, no iron sights..better placement more of a natural feel..

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Yeah that does look really good like that, did you ever try the other setup for holding zero?
I did, and I wasn't happy with it, maybe not a good enough cheek weld for accuracy..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts