Extractor Spring Problems on 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Scott7161, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Scott7161

Scott7161 New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I removed the extractor screw, the leaf-type extractor spring and am having difficulty with re-assembly. I can't get the leaf extractor spring to lay flat. The Button-head extractor screw might not be giving enough tension on the spring however when I try to tighten it, I can tell if I go any further it might strip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott

2. Scott7161

Scott7161 New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Okay, I figured out that the firing pin has to be aligned in the slide just perfectly to get the button-head screw to go in all the way. Boy, if I knew getting the extractor mechanism/firing pin back together was going to be so difficult, I would not have taken it apart in the first place.

Do you guys know where I can order a new button-head screw? I think mine is starting to strip due because I was over tightening it inadvertently.

Scott

3. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    This was discussed the other day, and the consensus seemed to be to contact Kel-Tec directly. They'll probably send you 1 or more for a small fee (if any at all).

4. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Give KT a call...not email. They will take care of you. You might have to wait a bit though as they will be closing down for the holidays soon.

5. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Yesterday was their last day, they'll be opened back up on Jan 5th.

6. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    When I spoke to them about some of the small parts, they sent them asap, no questions asked, and I purchased 2nd. hand. I requested, screws, ex. spring and the recoil springs. Hope they are as freindly to you as they were to me. Good Luck Tom :)

7. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    It sounds like KT's customer service is exemplary. :)

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    In an emergency, if the Allen socket in the extractor screw becomes rounded and you can't get it out you can carefully file a conventional screwdriver slot in it with a small file.

9. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    PshootR is right about the allen socket being easy to strip. Personally, I'd like to see a federal ban on any screw that does not have a Torx drive head ;D

10. chihuahuatn

chihuahuatn New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Did that with a dremel, while waiting for my new screw from kel tec  :) , I actually like it better this way easier to tighter after cleaning.
    [​IMG]

11. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Personally I'd liket o se a federal ban on any screw that is made to metric tollerances, and that included Torx's. SAE is the only way to go!

12. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Yep I was hoping someone could learn from my :-[. All you needed do was read a few weeks back in the list. Glad you figured it out. KT sent out new parts to me with no hassle.