Extractor Screw on P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MphsTiger1981, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I know I've seen this information, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me what size allen wrench fits the screw on the extractor for a Gen 2 P3AT?

I've got one that is loose and the smallest wrench I have is not quite right, and I'm afraid of stripping the head on it.

thanks in advance,

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    it is 5/64"
    but a 2mm fits better

3. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I wanted to check / replace the screw  after my gun was dry fired a few times, I called KT and they sent me a new screw, I was told to use a 2mm allen wrench to R&R. and dont forget the blue thread locker  ;)
  4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    they no longer supply the allen key with a new screw?
  5. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thank you. I think the one I am trying to use is 5/64" and when I get it almost good and tight, it slips off. At this point I should probably call Tuesday and request one. I will also ask if they send the wrench, too. Good point.
  6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If the 5/64" slips, then the fit is beginning to strip out. the 2mm is less than a RCH larger and thus allows you to get proper torque if there has been a little fit damage.

If the key had a good end (no rounding) and the screww fit is beginning to strip, too much torque has been applied. this will be the case when loosing a locktited screw, but should not happen when tighting.

the required torque to hold is only about 6 in-lbs and the torque to strip is a very close 10 in-lbs. application of the proper torque is applied with the long end of an L key in the screw and only the index and thumb on the short arm
  7. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I bought the P3AT new from a dealer back in July. I had experienced some jamming and just chalked it up to break in period, until I read some of the threads on here. That is when I realized that I needed to check the screw. Sure enough, it had worked it's way slightly loose. I backed it out and put some blue locktite on the threads and re-tightened the screw. When I took it to the range the next time, the same thing happened. I think this was because I didn't clean the screw good before using the locktite and there was probably cleaning oils, gunpowder and other residue on it when I applied the locktite.

I think it's tight now, but I'm reluctant to try to make it too tight for just the reasons you cite JFB. Thanks.
  8. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I know what that means... Man, I haven't heard that one in a LONG time. ;D
  9. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I know what that means...  Man, I haven't heard that one in a LONG time.  ;D[/quote]

Yep, the smallest measurement known to man.