Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having an extraction problem with my p3at.  I was sent a replacement extractor (no charge) but still had problems.  I contacted Kel-tec and what the rep wanted me to do was to try another extractor (another freebie) and if that did not work, he wants me to send him the slide assembly to check out for repair or replacement.  Hey, I am disapppointed with these problems, but the customer service has been fantastic, so I can't complain but so much.  Its probably more annoying than anything. However, I am not here to rant, because the folks at KT customer service are doing all that they can to help.  I also know it is a great little weapon because I have several buddies that own them and have never experienced any problems whatsoever, and they are LEO who use it as a backup piece.

The question I have is this - If I can manually rack mag after mag by hand and have every round eject without a problem, why will it not do the same under firing conditions?  I guess I do not understand the workings of the little KT as much as I do all of my 1911 models.  Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there to see what ideas you guys may have.

Hopefully I  will make it to the range tomorrow for a test fire session.  I will post results as soon as I can.

By the way, please don't ask about limpwristing issues associated with this because that is definately not the issue.  Even by KT's admission limpwristing will affect ejection, but will have no impact on the extraction process.

Finally, I want to express how great the CS has been with KT. ;)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Fat_Rat said:
The question I have is this - If I can manually rack mag after mag by hand and have every round eject without a problem, why will it not do the same under firing conditions?  I guess I do not understand the workings of the little KT as much as I do all of my 1911 models.  Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there to see what ideas you guys may have.

Two major differences in "maually racking" a round out vs extraction during actual firing.  First, the process of manual racking is slower, thus it does not "jerk" the extractor back against the case rim as hard as does actual firing.  But more important, the brass case expands when fired and thus grips the chamber walls more firmly (heat expansion), making extraction more difficult than is experienced in extracting a cold case.  Given your problems of extraction during firing only, I would look closely at the chamber rather than at a new extractor.  It may be that there is a little roughness in the chamber, or perhaps a small burr at the chamber mouth that grips the cartridge case a bit when the case expands in firing, making it more difficult to extract.  

Jim R

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PgunneR said:
[quote author=Fat_Rat link=1295723047/0#0 date=1295723046].

Two major differences in "maually racking" a round out vs extraction during actual firing.  First, the process of manual racking is slower, thus it does not "jerk" the extractor back against the case rim as hard as does actual firing.  But more important, the brass case expands when fired and thus grips the chamber walls more firmly (heat expansion), making extraction more difficult than is experienced in extracting a cold case.  Given your problems of extraction during firing only, I would look closely at the chamber rather than at a new extractor.  It may be that there is a little roughness in the chamber, or perhaps a small burr at the chamber mouth that grips the cartridge case a bit when the case expands in firing, making it more difficult to extract.  

Jim R[/quote]

Thanks PgunneR, that sounds like a reasonable explanation.  If your theory is correct, is there a way it can be checked and verified,  and what would be a fix for that?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Fat Rat

Just inspect the chamber closely, using a magnifying glass if necessary. Especially around the mouth of the chamber, looking for any rough areas or small burrs which could be hanging up the cartridge case. If around the mouth or feed ramp area, you can possibly smooth these out yourself using a dremel tool with extremely fine grit (you do not want to change dimensions at all!) and with the right polishing tool and grit, you could lightly polish the chamber. Be very careful here, of course, as you do not want to change any chamber dimensions. Just light polish out any rough area or burr. If not absolutely sure what you are doing here, best left to a gunsmith. Or, of course, you could easily send it back to the Mother Ship with an explanatory note. Likely Kel Tec would either polish things out, or possibly just replace the barrel in that case.

Jim R

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yep, get that chamber polished up real good.

Did they send you a new flat spring with the extractor I wonder? Another place to look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts