Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep HP's loaded in the chamber. When I want to shoot FMJ at the range, or clean, or otherwise clear the pistol, I am having a problem ejecting the round in the chamber. When I rack the slide all the way back the case appears to hang on the extractor. Looking down at the round in the open chamber, it appears to be "floating," held in the pistol by the extractor. I have to get a small screwdriver to worry it free. No other problems with extraction or feeding, after about 400 rounds. Is this an old issue I have missed on the Forum, or a problem with my pistol? Suggestions?

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Have you lost your ejector, by chance?

Part 115 sits in the groove in the left rear area on the top of the frame rail. Usually the upcoming round will eject rounds OK without it but the last round has nothing to push it up.

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3atparts.html

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
jmtaylor said:
Nope.

Cases from rounds fired kick out correctly.
They often do, even without the ejcector.  Pull off your slide and see if there is an empty slot on top of the frame rail, rear, left side.   :-/

The ejector is just a friction fitted part. They are frequently lost when folks clean the gun if they are not careful. Most folks here have lost one or two over the years. :-[

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Bigdaddyv10 was right.

I suspect I was just not racking it back hard enough. When I focused on really racking the slide back, the round kicked out.

Wasn't missing the ejector. Strange that this happened after several months/hundreds of rounds of using the pistol.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Have you changed ammo brands recently?
Some brands with different bullet nose shapes are worse about doing this then others.

If you watch closely, you may notice the bullet nose on a loaded round hits the barrel hood as it first tries to rotate out of the ejection port.
If you rack the slide back fast & hard enough, it overcomes this interference and ejects the loaded round.
If you don't, it hangs up.

It never happens with empty cases because they clear the barrel hood way before the rim hits the ejector.

rcmodel

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I like catching unfire round, so I just use index finger that holds grip, to push round down the magazine well. with gun slightly tilted

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Explain to me how porting affects extracting an unfired round?

I'm pretty sure I just was not racking it back vigorously enough. Recently had rotator cuff surgery, and still haven't built back - and of course at my point in life, what's lost is probably gone ::)

G

·
jmtaylor said:
Explain to me how porting affects extracting an unfired round?

I'm pretty sure I just was not racking it back vigorously enough. Recently had rotator cuff surgery, and still haven't built back - and of course at my point in life, what's lost is probably gone ::)

I thinketh justfish was b-sing you... ;D

G

·
jmtaylor said:
Nope.

Cases from rounds fired kick out correctly.
not alot of ejection room there for a loaded round, if you rack the slide fast (as it should be anyhow) it will empty ok. If I rack my slide slowly with a live round, it will stick just like yours. The momentum of a fast rack is also bringing the casing back against the ejector fast and that is what throws the loaded round out, not the extractor per say and that my friend is a SWAG--bigtime..

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Maybe you need to put a slide lock on that P3AT!
I wish it had one. When I shoot the P32, I enjoy not having to count rounds. Especially since I use 7, 8 and 10 rounds mags. It's mindless; just shoot until it locks back. 8)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
TxCajun said:
I wish it had one.  When I shoot the P32, I enjoy not having to count rounds.  Especially since I use 7, 8 and 10 rounds mags.  It's mindless; just shoot until it locks back.   8)
I believe the original plan for the P3AT must have included a slide stop. The mags are made for one anyway.

I can understand why they did not use the P32 type SL, but it would have been so easy for them to put a P11 style slide stop on it.

Everyone should have a slide stop on their P3ATs.

Packer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.