Extra Magazines  

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by T_Rob, Jan 11, 2009.

1. T_Rob

T_Rob New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Extra Magazines  

I know this is like which holster question, but I thought it might be fun. I'd like your ides on how you carry extra magazines ( Just stick two in pocket ) :-?

2. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Re: Extra Magazines  

When I carry an extra mag, it is usually in a pocket.

Statistically, you will never need the second mag, as non-military fire-fights are 2-3 rounds or less.

Bert

3. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006

96 percent of all Statistics are made up on the spot.

;)

I normally carry a Sig P229 with 12+1 of .40 With that I carry a spare mag. Then I usually also have a BUG (PF-9 or P3AT) with it's 6 or 7 rounds. I try to (and usually do) carry a spare mag for the BUG too.

I would so much rather HAVE extra ammo available and not need it, then all of a sudden be holding a small, poorly designed, overly expensive club. And an extra mag isn't just about ammo, sometimes malfunctions happen too.

:cool:

For full size mags I carry them in a mag carrier. 3AT or PF-9 mags go into a pocket.

4. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

prove it. statistically, you will never see a dude in a black hoodie walking your neighborhood with a samurai sword either......

notice, media conveniently left the race out. I did not, that was not mentioned.

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

prove it.  statistically, you will never see a dude in a black hoodie walking your neighborhood with a samurai sword either......

notice, media conveniently left the race out.  I did not, that was not mentioned.  
    [/quote]
    LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

6. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006

Some 'Statistics' over time and thousands of armed encounters where shots were fired.

""The average number of shots fired by individual officers in an armed
    confrontation was between two and three rounds. The two to three rounds per
    incident remained constant over the years covered by the report. It also
    substantiates an earlier study by the L.A.P.D. (1967) which found that 2.6
    rounds per encounter were discharged. ""

http://www.virginiacops.org/Articles/Shooting/Combat.htm

Recently with hip cap semi's the average number of shots by officers has increased somewhhat....some folks seem to just shoot till slide lock.

7. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

[quote author=Lurker38 link=1231678486/0#2 date=1231690488]96 percent of all Statistics are made up on the spot.

;)

:) ;D Ther is lies, D**** lies, and statistics.

Bert

8. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

My next question, for all us civilian KTOGERS out there, How many have actually been in a gunfight as a Private Citizen ?

In My case, I am close to 50 years old, and have been in a lot of dangerous / stupid situations and places, but rarely have I seen a gun pulled out.

I was shot at once, while in a vehicle (produced a new hole in the cab of the truck I was driving in Guatemala). My response was to keep going.

the second time a neighbor was beating on a relative with a garden tool, and I broke it up by appearing with a shotgun.

Never have pulled a trigger in SD, in fact, I know no-one who has, excpt during combat or line of dutie.

Point being, is that we read about events in the new or see on television, but even with loads of media coverage, they are still isolated events. Horrrible, yes, but as compared to the total population in the US, insignificant. My city (Knoxville, TN) has been on national news 3-4 times this last year because of church, school, and mall shootings, yet I doubt that I will ever have to pull my pistol in Self Defense, much less get in a firefight with it. Still, I will be ready.

Bert

9. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

[​IMG]

I may never need them, but there's plenty of room - so why not?

Bobo

10. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

Good point ;)

I would respond with the "line" that if one needs to carry a extra mag, *maybe*...

.. they need a bigger gun (one shot stop)

.. The need better aim

.. Their priorities need to be adjusted on "GTHOOT ASAP" instead of sticking around to load a second, third, etc. mag.

.. If I drop a mag, I am not about to take time to stick it back in my pocket, so there is a risk of evidence left at the scene which could prove "intent".  It is one thing to fire back, quiet another to fire 7-13 times (in the case of two mags with a P3AT).

..  I, and I be most people on KTOG, are not trained to perform in a firefight.  The second mag will likely contribute to my demise.

..However, all said, I carry (with extra mags on occaision) in exercise of my civil rights, just like the rest of the group.

BTW... Where is the spell check on this thing ?  I keep posting typos!

Bert

11. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008

"GTHOOT ASAP"

Never seen it but never have I seen a more appropriate acronym either. If I need more than 7 or 8 rounds, I probably need more than a small pistol, or even a large pistol. Maybe a squad of Marines.

All that said, yeah, a spare mag is always a good idea. I figure it's about 100,000:1 I'll ever NEED my CCW, and probably 100:1 if I need my weapon, I'll need more than 8 rounds of .380. And a spare mag is so small, not like the mags for my Glock or Ruger KP90.

12. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

I've had to pull my gun against a relative before that had become irate and was threatening me in my own home. I didn't have to pull the trigger though. On one other occasion I was without my gun and was forced to resort to a knife. The guy saw me as e4nough of a threat that he and his buddy left the scene. I thanked God that day for his grace. From that day forward, I've never had to resort to a knife again. That is why I have my CCW.

As far as carrying extra mags, if you follow the line that one mag is enough, you've obviously never met Mr. Murphy. I carry two guns and one extra mag for each. If my primary fails, I have my bug. If the mag for either fails, I have another. I hope I never need another mag. For that matter I hope I never have to draw another gun in my life. I just simply prefer being prepared over being a victim. YMMV.

13. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

You don't count. ;) If you are like my pastor, you need a extra mag, and probably a goon bodyguard ;D

B.