Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been carrying a P3AT for years, always front pocket- in a DeSantis Nemesis the first year or so (which was OK) and changing to a local custom rough-out leather pocket holster, which is fantastic.

I've never carried a spare magazine, but have decided it's time to do that.

So-- what I'm weighing is carrying the magazine separately on the weak side in a pocket holster (making both front pockets unusable for keys, phone, etc.) or a belt mag pouch vs. a Recluse pocket holster with a magazine holder.

Seems to me the weak side magazine carry would make for a faster reload but it's one more thing to have to mess with (and remember to carry), whereas one of the great advantages of front pocket carry with a quality holster is just slip it in the pocket and go.

For those who have done either (or both), what do you think?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I chose the weak side spare mag pocket carry method. Pocket carried a .380 for a while. I already carry a leatherman on my belt in a pouch so another thing hanging off the belt was too much, for me. I used a remora mag holster to sort of keep the magazine orientated up, in the pocket, break up outline and keep pocket lint out of mag. I practiced reloading. Discovered several of my pocket knives carried in that same pocket removed skin as my hand dove into that pocket during reload drills. Reevaluated pocket knife carry methods. When you throw in all the other crap I haul in my pockets it becomes a challenge to carry all my stuff and dedicate front two pockets to gun and spare mag, but what I did discover is that I had a better draw and more comfortable carry when I moved the pistol to right side rear pocket. (most of my day is standing). Didn't print like it did in my front pocket, better draw from standing. I usually wear a chef coat or light jacket and almost never tuck in a shirt so rear pocket is my normal pocket carry now, a well made leather pocket holster looks more like a wallet when palmed and is easily moved to front pocket when you have to sit in a hard chair where you don't want to sit on the chunk of pistol.

this is what I learned and think...

for the record. I've been with out my pocket piece for last 7 months. and in it's absence I've bought a cute little kydex holster I'm gonna try, apendix and IWB at 4 o clock as I don't get to carry at work anymore, so I'm going for quick on and off these days.

Reactions: RickC1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good first-hand info. I've not considered rear pocket carry.

Hope the pocket knives didn't bite you too much.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I EDC the G2s Taurus 9mm. At 3 o'clock inside the waistband holster with extra magazine in offside pocket. Right front pocket for keys and to rest my right thumb during alert situations to aid in my draw if necessary and to conceal any printing with my forearm if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I EDC the G2s Taurus 9mm. At 3 o'clock inside the waistband holster with extra magazine in offside pocket. Right front pocket for keys and to rest my right thumb during alert situations to aid in my draw if necessary and to conceal any printing with my forearm if necessary.
Thanks- IWB is out for me, though one of the things about front pocket carry is, as you mention, you get used to not having the use of your front strong side pocket.

I have a Hume JIT slide for the P3AT and am a big fan of those holsters for small autos and snubs, having used them with some other CCW pieces over the years. But if I'm going to belt carry, it'll be something bigger. These days in the jacket months it's either a Beretta Nano (I wish Don Hume made a JIT for it) or a Kahr CW45. There's nothing wrong with IWB, it just does not work for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks- IWB is out for me, though one of the things about front pocket carry is, as you mention, you get used to not having the use of your front strong side pocket.

I have a Hume JIT slide for the P3AT and am a big fan of those holsters for small autos and snubs, having used them with some other CCW pieces over the years. But if I'm going to belt carry, it'll be something bigger. These days in the jacket months it's either a Beretta Nano (I wish Don Hume made a JIT for it) or a Kahr CW45. There's nothing wrong with IWB, it just does not work for me.
I'm a big fan of the 380,I just fine that they are snappy and finicky in previous 380's that I owned like the LCP and the Bodyguard M&P. My wife owns the Bersa Thunder 380 and it as proved to be flawless and very accurate. My first 380 was the Taurus PT58 back in the early 90's. It to was a really good pistol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been carrying a P3AT for years, always front pocket- ... carrying the magazine separately on the weak side in a pocket ...
... would make for a faster reload...
I’m with you on strong side pocket carry handgun and weak side pocket carry spare magazine. When my weak side pocket is too full, the spare mag(s) can go to IWB appendix weak side in a Remora mag pouch. If I have to reload, the empty mag is disposable and dropped free while the weak hand brings the spare mag up.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
plus 1 on the remora mag pouch, works in the pocket as a lint cover, breakup of outline printing remora was giving them away w any purchase when I got mine. Took me a minute to figure out how to use them cause they look sorta weird.

Reactions: RickC1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Several comments:
1. Re: knives, in many states, like Ohio, your CHL (Concealed Handgun License) does NOT cover other weapons like knives, batons, etc. And all of these are considered lethal; yes, even the batons. So you may be OK with your EDC handgun, but the back-up equipment may put you on jail.
2. For de-linting a pocket (or any) EDC, quality Q-tips are great, especially for the P3AT & PF-9. You may have to remove some of the cotton, but they allow cleaning around the hammer from behind without disassembling the little gats.
3. The KT belt clips work well for belts and jeans pockets (and some boot tops). BUT...if you have a right-handed clip, be VERY careful firing it left-handed and vice versa. The clip will probably cut you under recoil. And yes, that's the painful voice of experience. For that reason alone, I removed mine.
4. Last item. Unless you are trained in knife fighting, leave the assisted-opening lockback tacticool knives at home. In a knife fight, everyone gets cut. I'll put my money on the bad guys with the scars; the ones with advanced self-defense degrees courtesy of the state's penal system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts