Extra mag carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by james__12345, Dec 10, 2009.

1. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    For those of you who carry an extra mag for your 3AT, what do you use. Are there any good comercially made pouches that are small enough to be useful?

2. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I buy knife pouches from the cordura guy who comes to all the gunshows here. They come in all sizes, so you just pick one that fits the magazine perfectly.

3. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I used to have a leather pocket holster that had a pouch for the magazine. But then I got the finger extensions for the mags and also got an Armalaser, so that holster doesn;t work anymore.

So now I just put it in the "off-side" pocket of my pants. Never really liked it in the same pocket as the pistol- in the event I needed it, it would be much harder to get to!

It works much better in the other pocket and have not seen the need to get anything to hold it. It works fine carried loosely int he pocket.

4. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I have saw a picture of a holster like that with a mag pouch, but I dont really like the idea of that. As you said, it would be hard to get to, and it would be on the wrong side. I really don't see loose in the other pocket working too well for me though. As of now i pocket carry in my right front pocket, and keys etc in my left. I really dont like the idea of a clip full of ammo bouncing around loosely with my keys and stuff to potentially get bent or get a bullet partially pushed out keeping the clip from loading if I need it. I assume you carry back pocket, or maybe have your keys on a belt clip maybe? I thought about a knife pouch, but I just haven't seen any around here small enough. Thats really the idea I had to begin with, but all my knife pouches were too big.

5. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    No, I carry keys in my pocket with the mag. Never had a problem with it bouncing around. I don;t have alot of keys, so the mag is much heavier and settles to the bottom of the pocket and rides there. Never noticed any bullet movement either.

But now that you mention it, I'll keep an eye out for that!

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Well I have alot of keys, so that probably makes the way they ride in the pocket with the clip a little different. I also tend to worry too much about all the what if's so it might not even be an issue anyway. Just me being paranoid I guess.

7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I wear cargo style jeans and shorts most of the time. There is a small open top pocket in the center of the cargo pocket on each leg and I find that my 2 extra P3 magazines fit in there nicely. They stay upright and are quick to access. I do plan to make something to keep the slight noise that they can make sometimes but it's hardly noticeable. The mags tend to stay in well even though there is no closure to the pocket, one fell out on my couch once and my 2 year old daughter pick-pocketed one mag at the DR.  ;D

YMMV
    CJ

8. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I wear 5.11 Tactical Jeans and they have 2 hidden pockets for magazines on the inside lefthand side of the pants. They also have 2 other hidden pockets in them. Even if they didn't have all the hidden pockets they would be my favorite jeans because they are so comfortable.

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    This is how I do it...

[​IMG]

Bobo

10. yardbird2

yardbird2 New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I carry mine loose in my back pocket. works for me!!!!!!!!!

11. michael_t

michael_t New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I have stopped carrying a extra mag. I just don't believe if you need you P3AT for Self Defense you will ever have need of a reload. Or if have a jam have time to clear by dropping mag and reloading I consider these a close up 10yds or less SD pistols. Not a shoot it out in the mall anti terrorist pistol ;D Just my thoughts

12. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    I belive in carring the mag in the weak side pocket. P3 in right rear, mag in the front left. I made a homemade holster out of a worn out toolbelt, then made this "pocket organizer?" out of the same scraps. The leather could be lighter and still work fine.
    [​IMG]

When I carry my .44 mag, I move the phone and do this:
    [​IMG]

FWIW, this is the holster, with insert to make it print like a wallet. Note, the gun is the largest part of the print, everything kept as small as possible.
    [​IMG]

They live inside the pocket, who cares how it looks? i'm cheap.

13. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    If carrying in my back pocket, I keep one mag in that pocket and one just dropped in my front pocket. I find the P3AT mags are so small that they don't interfere with anything else in my pocket. The same is true of my mags for my PF-9 and Walther PPS. When carrying those guns, the extra mag just slips in my pocket. But, when carrying my P3AT in my right boot, I keep two mags in a zippered soft vinyl knife case in my left boot.

14. cngraefe

cngraefe New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use an old Razor cell phone case.

[​IMG]

It fits 2 mags, one upside down.
    [​IMG]

I also used a black perminent marker to get rid of the brass shine from the rounds and prevent anyone from possibly noticing it. Its small enough that if I don't want to risk it being seen I can just slip it in my pocket. With it I have 19 rounds on hand.

15. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Usually carry loose in weak side pocket or in watch pocket depending on what I am wearing at the time. I do strip the mag everyother day (ok at least once a week :) )and blow out with compressed air to make sure no pocket debris remains. Also wipe down spare mag and pistol nightly with silicon cloth.

16. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I guess I just don't see my little Keltecs as guns that I'd stick around long enough with to require a reload.  If I shot all of the rounds out of my extended mag 380-I'm gonna run like hell and hope for the best.  If it ain't over in a couple of shots, I'm shafted anyway.  These guns are "OMG" last chance for survival tools-they're not guns for intentional gunfights.  That work is for the professionals with "real" guns and "real" training, not CCW citizens like me.  

I just can't see John Q Citizen slappin' a new mag, rackin' the slide, and going toe to toe with the bad guys.  The vast majority of the bad guys are cowards and will either run away or cry if you shoot them-I've picked up more than a couple of them that were crying like babies because someone had the gall to actually shoot them while they were in the process of being bad citizens.  The remaining few will kill you if you give them half a chance.  Don't miss if you HAVE to use your weapon-if they've stayed around long enough to see that you've drawn your weapon, they know you are ready to use deadly force and they will kill you if you give them the opportunity.  I've seen first-hand many times over what people will do to each other for absolutely nothing-they will kill you for a Timex if they think they can get away with it.

Important things to remember are first, don't put yourself intentionally in a situation that leads to this scenario (in other words, pay attention to what the he11 is going on around you) and second, if you have to shoot-don't miss because if you give him a chance, the bad guy probably won't.

17. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I use this simple leather holster from JS Holsters in my back pocket:

[​IMG]

18. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Here's what I commonly use when I carry spare mags for my P3AT's. It is a small padded camera case made by Tamrac (model # 5680). As you can see it can carry two mags with +1 extensions very easily. With the flap closed, you can't see the mags from the sides at all - concealment is 100%. And the whole package is about the size of a deck of cards, though somewhat thicker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. JB

JB Guest

I made this leather holster for my P3AT (later realized that I should have made it rough side out, hence the rough side strip.)  I only had the one mag with me when I took the pic, hence no mag in the pistol; that is not the way I carry it.

[​IMG]

With this pistol, I really don't concern myself much with the idea that the mag is on the same side as the pistol.  As others have said, I think reloading the P3AT in a real life confrontation isn't very likely.  That is probably the reason that its Grendel ancestor didn't even have a removeable mag.  Also, it isn't like hitting the mag release causes the mag in a P3AT to simply drop free and if there is a chance to reload it will probably be after taking cover or putting some distance between yourself and your assailants, not a super quick 'tactical reload'.  In other words, once again, not very likely.  That said, the extra mag doesn't weigh that much, the difference in comfort when carrying it or not is negligible with this holster and it aids in further breaking up the lines of the pistol, making it look more like a notepad or an assortment of miscellaneous junk in my pocket.  Therefore, more than having a really good reason for carrying an extra, my thoughts are more along the lines of, "Why not?"

I rarely even carry a spare mag when carrying the P11.  I'd rather just carry a New York reload, instead.  If I carry a spare for the P11, I do carry it on the opposite side in a sheath for a Gerber multitool - the tool accidentally went into the pond a few years back when I dropped it while trying to get the hook out of a catfish's mouth.  FWIW, if I carry pepper spray, I use that sheath for it.

I have started carrying two speed strips when I carry the five shot snubbie as my one and only and I sometimes carry a couple of speedloaders when the six shot .357 is all I have on me.

20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I carry a spare in my off-hand-side pocket. I use a pouch made by JMG Holsters (www.jmgholsters.com) specifically for the P3AT magazines, per dimensions I provided him. He sold me several for $2 each. One of my most satisfying holster-related purchases. I have since bought similar pouches from him for every firearm platform reload I have (including for my .38SPL SpeedStrip).

Here's a photo or two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]