Extended Magazine Problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by popcycle, Mar 6, 2008.

1. popcycle

popcycle New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Purchased the extended magazine to allow 7+1 with new springs that came in package. Actually I bought two sets. With the new apparatus installed including springs and 7 rounds with one in the chamber the magazines will not seat. If I use the original springs (shorter) it will work. Any comments?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I have not messed with the extended, but it could be the spring coils are not seated on those lugs on the base plate and the follower is seating on a coil that sticks out.  The spring MUST all fit into the follower.

With the P3AT, with a full magazine, the last round should be able to pressed down so the rim is not visible for magazine to latch

I have beveled the inside edge of my followers (standard mag) to assist the coils to go inside as spring is compressed,

BTW, it would be the number of coils, not the free lenght that would make the problem. the heigth of the solid coil condition must fit inside the follower. By using the shorter spring, you proved the height of the follower is not the problem

3. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I too have this same problem. I have also tried the shorter stock mag spring, same results. Also for mine when loading that 7th round I honestly thought I was going to break something. It REALLY does NOT want to load into the mag. Then when I insert the mag into the pistol the only way the mag will fit right is if I hold the slide back, insert mag, release slide, then it all clicks back into place.

Looking at it just now, as described the coils of the spring are compressing down on themselves to the point there is no more room to compress. Is there a better remedy for this? I got my extension used, should there have been a special follower for the mag? I'm using both stock and provided spring, new aluminum +1 baseplate, new aluminum floorplate seating panel, stock plastic follower for magazine...

Seems kind of strange.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    again, i don't have an extended magazine, so be carefull with my comments

IF you are using the same follower, the number of coils on the stock spring (and wire diameter) is the same solid height as the inside the follower.

So If the extension spring has more coils, its solid hieght will be greater than the follower, thus the amount of extension needs to include the room for the extra spring too.

JimBob, with a full mag, how far can you press the top round in. from what i recall measuring, the rim should not be visiable from the notch in the back of the magazine

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    They all seem to do this a little bit starting off. Check to make sure you didn't install the springs in backwards. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here, just covering the basics. Since the mags are apart now follow JFB's advice and make sure they are seating the right way. It doesn't hurt to oil the inside of the mag either if it's not already done. New mags come oily as heck anyways, so if yours are new don't worry about it. Those springs will need some time to compress a bit so load and unload the mags a few times to get them softened up a bit. No spring that I've heard of will lose it's "springiness" while it's constantly under pressure. What causes them to lose power is constantly compressing and releasing them. Give this a shot and get back with me.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No! Do not use both springs! Use only the +1 replacement spring.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/magext.htm