Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gone for a long time, but its good to be back. I've got two P-3AT's and was thinking about using one for a project. Anyone know where I can get an extended barrel? I would probably need about 3/8's of an inch extra length. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Adam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I'll need a stamp...I just didn't want the "thats illegal" harassment. I'll do it the legal way. Already have a suppressed M-4, but need a project while I'm waiting for my M-16 commando to come out of estate.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Very interesting.  I am not one of the forum's mechanical gurus but I wonder if adding weight to the barrel of a tilting barrel design would be practical.  With such a small gun even a small suppresser would be a relatively big change to the balance of the design.  Just curious. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adding weight would affect function, but you can put a recoil booster on a suppressor. If not, having to manually cycle the gun would not be that big a deal. It would still be interesting to try out.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd enjoy seeing how the sound is on a suppressed 3AT. Probably a little high pithed click as opposed to the air rifle sound that(uhhh, other people's) rifles make. I have a great class III dealer here, I'll do some poking around on it for you 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can find anybody that would be great. I don't mind paying for a cutsom barrel. The .380 is a subsonic round, so I'm sure that it would be pretty quiet. It would definately be fun at the range! ;D

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm wondering why a custom barrel would require a stamp. Is that true? If so is it just because its a bit longer or would that be the case with an exact replica of a stock P-3AT barrel. The reason I've asked, is that I always thought that it might be nice to have an extra barrel that was a bit (about another half inch) longer. It wouldn't really affect my carry habits and it would add a little more oomph to a fired round. No need for the threaded end.

I was under the impression that the frame of the P-3AT (part with the serial number) was legally the 'gun' and that other than that part, any other components could be manufactured without the King's permission.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It's the thingy you put on the longer barrel that might require a stamp. Those thingys are fun to play with but show up big on govt. radar and get you into a lot of computers if individually owned.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you thread it I would install a thread protector which also had a front sight on it. Now you have just installed a front sight on your longer barrel for greater accuracy, no other purpose intended. If it is a heavy front sight unit it will also show you whether you would have functioning problems if you decided to install some other heavy device on the barrel.

Personally I would not venture into this particular quicksand pit though I am very curious about how it would work.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
fatman said:
Personally I would not venture into this particular quicksand pit though I am very curious about how it would work.
Agreed! This looks like one to stand on the sidelines and watch.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Adam said:
Adding weight would affect function, but you can put a recoil booster on a suppressor.  If not, having to manually cycle the gun would not be that big a deal.  
I would be a whole lot quieter if it didn't cycle.

Some of the best silenced pistols ever (Vietnams S&W 39 Hush-Puppy, early HK SOCOM) had slide-locks to keep them shut when fired.

Cycling noise & blast from residual gas pressure when the action opens are very loud in comparison to a sub-sonic round out of a good can.

rcmodel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rcmodel is right on! I don't really want it to cycle. The idea here is to get it as quiet as possible. So I have to cycle each round manually...big deal. I would, however, have a super quiet...super small pistol. I'm already on Government radar with my Gemtech Halo and M-16A2. I might have some explaining to do at the range though! ;D A lot of people don't know suppressors are legal. Anyone know where I can get one of these extended barrels?

Adam

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I am not aware of any aftermarket barrel maker offering them.

I think the only way to get an extended barrel for any model KelTek would be to have a good gunsmith make one.

Perhaps a cheaper alternative method would be to counter-bore the muzzle of a stock barrel and make a threaded adapter sleeve that could be silver-brazed in place. (The threaded section could not be larger then the barrel O.D. or you couldn't get the barrel in or out of the slide.)

Only downside to that is there isn't much barrel wall thickness to work with on the .380.

It could be easily done, and I think it would probably be safe at .380 pressure levels, but I'm just guessing.

Proceed at your own risk!

rcmodel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rcmodel said:
I would be a whole lot quieter if it didn't cycle.

Some of the best silenced pistols ever (Vietnams S&W 39 Hush-Puppy, early HK SOCOM) had slide-locks to keep them shut when fired.

Cycling noise & blast from residual gas pressure when the action opens are very loud in comparison to a sub-sonic round out of a good can.

rcmodel
have a class 3 dealer who owns a beretta military with silencer and a slide lock as u stated to keep the slide closed upon firing. what a super peace this weapon was. I fired it, and the silencer was awsome, about 15 shots and it started to increase in noise though, and one had to change the silencers pads in it. But the first half dozen shots was as quiet as a baby's fart. He told me some fo the fighter pilots carried this weapon..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.