Experience with sight paint??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bpd371, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    I was wondering if anyone had experience with "brite sights" sight paint or testors brand fluorescent paints? Which is better/more visible on the weapon? thanks for the help.

2. neknraw

neknraw New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I use a bright white gloss enamel on the rear sight and a bright testors orange on the front. I like the combination as it allows me to pick up the sights very fast for these old eyes. I also did the same on my PF9 and Colt Compact 1991A1.

3. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    I have used the Bright Sights stuff and it works fine. Unless you have a coupon though or you have your C&R on file with them or Midway, it is way over priced in my opinion. You can get the same results with regular model paint, unless you simply MUST have the glow in the dark. Actually, I think there is glow in the dark model paint now that I think about it....

Anyway, I have found that painting my rear dots green and my front one orange has really helped me acquire my sight picture much faster. It has allowed me to get faster follow up shots and faster, on target shots on the draw as well. Especially when you are "Point Shooting" or what ever they call it where you are just looking for your front sight and not going for the absolute proper sight picture, just a quick, relatively accurate shot on target I have found the orange dot to be really helpful for me at least.

I tried other color schemes and found the green in back and orange in front to be best for my shooting habits, YMMV. ;)

4. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I would recommend a white base coat then color.
    What I do is:
    clean the sights with alcohol, lighter flid or degreaser
    wait for the wife to leave, wait 5 minutes (make sure she didn't forget anything)
    heat the toaster oven to 150-175
    warm the slide for about 10 minutes
    apply paint
    back in toaster oven for 10 minutes
    apply color
    one more time for 10 minutes

This will give you a very durable finish. Some of my sights were painted once
    and have lasted 20 years.
    Norton

5. Testors - green back - orange front..... has held up for a long time.

Cleaned with alcohol, then dried/baked on with wifes hair dryer.

6. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    The best stuff I've used is the heat-to-apply fishing lure powder you can buy at most larger fishing supply houses. Sportsmans warehouse has it. On a fixed sight it is trickier to apply than on a removable sight. It is basically a powder coating and comes in some BRIGHT colors. You heat the part, apply the powder by whatever means works for the project at hand, and then reheat the part to cure it. It you get some where you don't want it, you can remove it with acetone and/or scraping before the final bake. My favorite is a chartruese green with a second coat of glow clear. You can also buy high heat masking tape that can be used to isolate the area to be coated.

Here are some paint-on and heat-on options from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...ll&Nty=1&Ntt=lure+paint&noImage=0

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    +1 I have the same set-up (green back and orange front). Testors model paint. Works great and lasts a long time. I've got almost 600 rounds through my P3AT since applying the paint and it is as bright as ever and holds up just fine during cleaning.

8. batwell

batwell New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I used Bright Sights, helped alot so far so good :)

9. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I picked the most bright and florescent model paint that I could find on my 44 mag hunter's front sight and love it!

10. mg0427

mg0427 New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I went hobby lobby, and got glow in the dark paint set, it has 5 bight colors, and 2 clear glow paint, used a tooth pick to apply, yellow on back and red on front works great for me.

11. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I also prefer fluorescent orange for a color because it seems to contrast better and is faster to aquire.

12. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Orange front, green  rear dots with liquid bandage overcoat...
    [​IMG]

13. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
  14. Troubleshooter2

Troubleshooter2 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I just painted mine with Krylon craft and hobby paint I picked up this week. I was looking for testers and could not find it at the store I was looking in. Saw the Krylon Glow orange and bought that.

I painted the front sight on both my p3at and pf9. Looks good but I have not shot them yet with the new paint.

I like white on the rear sight because that is what I am use to with my Glocks.

15. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I painted both sights green with Bright Sights (works well, very expensive). Then I decided I wanted more contrast between the front sight and the rear sight and I wanted the front sight to be more prominent than the rear.

Went to Michael's craft store (A.C. Moore, Ben Franklin, etc. would also have this). Found 2 oz. bottles of acrylic craft paint in almost any imaginable color for $.89 each. Bought two different colors (enough paint for thousands of applications) Settled on the red (it is actually almost pink). It stands out well against most background colors.

Applied a couple of coats with a toothpick. I waited until the next day so the craft paint would be completely dry, then I applied an overcoat of two coats of my wife's clear nail polish. I also overcoated the Bright Sight green while was at it.

After two years of 24/7 carry the edges of the sights that rub against the holster are beginning to need a touch-up.

One thing I noticed is; the more the light is coming from behind (shining on the sights) they brighter they are and the more they stand out, the more the light is from the front the darker and less colorful are the sights. Also, the dimmer the light the less colorful and more black they look.

Bottom line… I find the bright colors help a lot under most conditions, and I like the painted sights much better than the black.

[​IMG]

Bobo

16. charles1198

charles1198 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    I have Brite Sights on a couple of my guns. It's great! To keep sight paint from wearing off as quickly, I always put on a little dab of clear Teflon nail polish that I swiped from my wife. It seems to make the sights appear a little brighter, too, as it catches the light. :cool:

17. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    As I mentioned in my earlier post I have been doing this for quite some time but I will also admit this thread has taught me a new trick.  I have never had any problems with the paint wearing or flaking off yet, even with cleaning solvents and the like being used.

I never thought of putting anything on them like clear nail polish to add to their durability.  That plus as the post just above this one mentions, it even makes them a little bit more eye catching! Makes me feel that this will become a part of my sight painting routine from now on.  

Thanks Guys!  :cool:

18. srk-31

srk-31 New Member

Feb 16, 2007
    wish there was a way to get a tritium vial placed in the front, but I guess it's a question of diminishing returns on a pocket gun, as they are intended to be used up close and personal.

19. srk-31

srk-31 New Member

Feb 16, 2007
    I eventually opted for the testors approach, and that was an improvement on the factory scheme on a blued slide.

20. Sassi

Sassi New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Pictures look good. I gotta get me some of that stuff and do the same to my guns. Thanks for sharing!!