Experience in the river

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by diamond_jim, Jun 20, 2010.

1. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Have carried my P3AT for 4 yrs now and forget it is in my pocket. Went fly fishing the other day, and of course the current made me fall (new experience, wading in river), also my cell phone, and wallet, all got wet, and while trying to catch myself, hooked my shirt in the back. Course I looked around to see if anybody was looking, no. Finished fishing shortly (after getting the hook our of my shirt). Went home and blowed out the phone, but it died. unloaded the P380, blew it out with compresser, then sprayed it with Hornady One Shot, blew it out again, then sprayed it with Rem oil spray really good, blew it out again, ran a snake with a little Rem oil spray on it, put some grease on the rails, and it is good to go, also cleaned mag, and rounds. It really takes a beatin and keeps on shootin, even with 8 wks of pocket lint. Oh, forgot, took the laser apart and blew it out also. My opinion, best little equalizer made. Jim <>< mods can move if appropriate.

2. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Nice story, thanks for sharing. ;D

I've often wondered about things like that. Getting caught in a downpour, falling in a creek, etc.

Specifically, did you do anything special with the firing pin and firing pin channel, extractor and spring areas to get them dried out and water proofed again?

3. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Specifically, 35 lbs air pressure, taking care to blow through fp channel, and Hornady One
    Shot, in fp channel and completelly smothering pistol, blowed out again, then, Rem Oil pressurized can, into fp channel, and smothering entire pistol, blowed out again, and greased rails.... Jim <><

4. theduke

theduke Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    Stick your cell phone in a container full of rice and leave it for a few days. The rice will absorb the moisture and it may work again.

5. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Did the laser make it through ok?

Sounds like you did all the right things drying the gun out.

6. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    WD40 will displace water but you would want to flush it with BreakFree powderblast or BrakeCleen brake&parts cleaner(green non chlorinated can) to flush out all of the wd40 before it varnishes up.
    The stronger grade rubbing alcohol will help displace and evaporate water also. If you spray oil in there too soon the oil will just trap/mix with the watter and turn milky.

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Have you ever personally experienced WD40 "vanishing up?" I have heard many people say this, but it has never been my experience.

Thanks! :)

8. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I have worked on guns that were a gummy mess from being STORED with WD 40.
    I don't think it is a big deal for guns that are used/cleaned often, except maybe areas like the fp channel that aren't cleaned as often as the rest of the gun.

After wetting myself :) and my pistol (rain / creek) I have used the car heater with the blower on high to dry it. Once while in the back country I tied my shoelace to the trigger guard and twirled it round and round to dry it.

After drying the pistol I have used motor oil from the dipstick, peanut butter (wipe on, let set, wipe off) and a mayonnaise packet to re-lube.

Now days I do my best to stay out of creeks and rain.

GL (too old to play anymore)

9. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    ...After wetting myself :) and my pistol (rain / creek) I have used the car heater with the blower on high to dry it. Once while in the back country I tied my shoelace to the trigger guard and twirled it round and round to dry it.

After drying the pistol I have used motor oil from the dipstick, peanut butter (wipe on, let set, wipe off) and a mayonnaise packet to re-lube.

Now days I do my best to stay out of creeks and rain.

GL (too old to play anymore)[/quote]

Hi Loki,

Almost sounds like a recipe...peanut butter with pistols. ;D I don't doubt that it works though. ;) I personally have not seen WD-40 varnish, but have seen 3 in 1 oil do it though. Generally I'll use WD-40 or a water miscible oil like Ballistol to clean after a part gets wet. The Ballistol will mix with the water, but still leaves a coating after the water is gone.

Best Wishes:

10. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Never! You just find other games. :)

11. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Have you ever personally experienced WD40 "vanishing up?"  I have heard many people say this, but it has never been my experience.

Thanks!  :)

[/quote]

I posted this a couple yrs ago, Yes, on experience with WD 40, I was Capt. of our American Legion Honor Guard, and it came with the responsibility of caring for the M1's, which had never performed very well, (lots of miss fires), I immediatly cleaned and lubed with the only available lubricant in the gun shack, (WD 40) and continued to have problems. After the next funeral, I got some Rem Oil, and cleaned and lubed again, and after the switch, we had over 25 funerals in the next few years without a single misfire. WD 40 is probably the best lub for what it is made for, but not for primary lubricant of guns. That is my experience. Jim <><

12. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    Some times it does, sometimes it doesn't. To be honest i think they have changed the formula a few times over the years and even the stuff in the spray pump bottle is diff. than the aerosol can.

I have used it on garage doors,wire spoked rims,tools,ect and have seen a thin layer of yellowish varnish almost like cosmoline at times. As mentioned it seems fine on regularly cleaned and reoiled items but i wouldn't use it in intricate moving parts that don't get cleaned often like inside of locks or the firing pin channel.

To be honest ANY non synthetic oil,grease,lube will gum up in time. I have never been the type to put 2-in-1 or WD40 on just anything. Nowadays people are doing the same thing with remoil. Its good for what it is but i wouldn't use in on pellet gun seals or in my car engine.

13. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009

I dropped mine in the pool--they told me same about covering it in rice--thought it would`nt work but after 24 hr in there worked like a charm and still working :)

14. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

I dropped mine in the pool--they told me same about covering it in rice--thought it would`nt work but after 24 hr in there worked like a charm and still working  :)[/quote]
    Very nice idea. Thanks all.

15. Cabinetman

Cabinetman New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I, too, fly fish and carry my P3-AT. Falling in something that will happen to everyone eventually. I wear light-weight chest waders with a belt so not much water will get in. But, if it does, what I do is put my phone and wallet into a zip-lock bag on my person. that way I don't lose much if I do get wet. The pistol, otoh, is not bagged and if it gets wet, I simply do what you've done. It's pretty rugged.

Rome

16. Monolithman

Monolithman New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Sounds like the voice of experience! Thanks for the tip. I don't look forward to needing the advice, but when I do, I will try it.

17. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Love the WD40 stories.

Been using it for 42 years to help me CLEAN my guns for years-cuts through all kind of crud without hurting stocks and does an excellent job of protecting from rust.
    Here's my basic example of what I typically have seen with people and "problems" with WD40.

Semi-auto shotgun, shooter shoots the heck out of gun. Removes forend and barrel. Sprays a pile of WD into the barrel and on the magazine tube/gas rings, etc.

Does not wipe off any of the now "loose" crud AND PUTS THE GUN AWAY!!!!!

Can't understand why the gun is all goo'ed up and wants to jam-duh, HELLO.

The WD does a great job of cutting through crud-you just have to wipe the crud off before you put the gun away! ;D

18. dog_repellant_80

dog_repellant_80 New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Hello. I just joined the forum. I have a lot of experience in bicycling, and some in gun shooting. I have a new KT.

I think WD-40 is wonderful....for removing all other lubricants! Its great for degreasing small equipment ball bearings. Its made of petroleum distillates and fish oil! Fish oil! That would explain the varnishing. This stuff is a cold-war throwback.

There are plenty of better gun lubes and products for rust prevention or storage.

Glad to hear that you didn't lose it in the river, and that it still runs even on mayonnaise. Wow.

19. Blueline

Blueline New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I too learned about WD40 gumming up! My "go to" items in damp enviorns are Ballistol lube in an 8oz. spray can and a Tuff Cloth-Marine grade for the occasional wipe down.

No rusting. No failures to feed or fire.

Blueline

20. rich_60

rich_60 New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    No creek dip but got caught in a down pour that would have scared Noah. Compressed air, Rem oil, rinse and repeat. Never missed a beat.
    Put my cell phone in rice but then I started getting calls from China.