Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kel Tec Sub 2000 Gen 2 project has me making some .40 ammo. I decided after a lot of contemplation that I will test it first with some heavy plated lead. My reasoning is it will be better to punch a hole as deep and wide clean through a pig as possible than to expect hollow point performance in bullets not designed for these velocities.

I decided to "go rifle" on the creation of my test bullets. For me that means exact charges and exact bullet weights, even if it is a handgun cartridge. After all I am going to shoot these from a rifle, not my g22. I have a box of 250 Berry's 165 gr flat point plated bullets, and I want the loaded bullets to be as close as possible in weight. I sampled 100 of the 250 and created a histogram.

First the packaging is nice. They come in a sturdy storage box that can be used again when the bullets are used up. I plan on storing some cast bullets.

I wasn't expecting much, considering this is plated lead. I was wrong! Consistency was excellent closely centered around 165 gr.

I have seen this kind of weight consistancy in 30-06 165 gr hunting bullets, and I certainly did not expect it from plated lead pistol bullets. These are rated to 1250 FPS.

My test batch of .40S&W will be:

165 gr bullets, 6.9 to 7.8 gr Longshot, CCI 500 primers and Federal once fired brass. I worked up 5 of each weight in .1 gr increments: 6.9, 7.0,... 7.8. I also made 10 test rounds with 7.0 gr charge to zero the gun. Yes I know... it's a bit much, but it's how I roll.

Hodgdon lists these from a .40 S&W with a 4 inch barel at 1091 FPS. The SUB 2000 should push the low end load at 1300 fps, and the high end at 1400 FPS plus. Right now I am just going to test for accuracy at 25 yards with iron sights. I suspect the low end load will be best performance, but I am looking forward to the result. More later.

D

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Kel Tec Sub 2000 Gen 2 project has me making some .40 ammo. I decided after a lot of contemplation that I will test it first with some heavy plated lead. My reasoning is it will be better to punch a hole as deep and wide clean through a pig as possible than to expect hollow point performance in bullets not designed for these velocities.

I decided to "go rifle" on the creation of my test bullets. For me that means exact charges and exact bullet weights, even if it is a handgun cartridge. After all I am going to shoot these from a rifle, not my g22. I have a box of 250 Berry's 165 gr flat point plated bullets, and I want the loaded bullets to be as close as possible in weight. I sampled 100 of the 250 and created a histogram.

First the packaging is nice. They come in a sturdy storage box that can be used again when the bullets are used up. I plan on storing some cast bullets.

I wasn't expecting much, considering this is plated lead. I was wrong! Consistency was excellent closely centered around 165 gr.

I have seen this kind of weight consistancy in 30-06 165 gr hunting bullets, and I certainly did not expect it from plated lead pistol bullets. These are rated to 1250 FPS.

My test batch of .40S&W will be:

165 gr bullets, 6.9 to 7.8 gr Longshot, CCI 500 primers and Federal once fired brass. I worked up 5 of each weight in .1 gr increments: 6.9, 7.0,... 7.8. I also made 10 test rounds with 7.0 gr charge to zero the gun. Yes I know... it's a bit much, but it's how I roll.

Hodgdon lists these from a .40 S&W with a 4 inch barel at 1091 FPS. The SUB 2000 should push the low end load at 1300 fps, and the high end at 1400 FPS plus. Right now I am just going to test for accuracy at 25 yards with iron sights. I suspect the low end load will be best performance, but I am looking forward to the result. More later.

D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like fun. How much velocity we'll gain is often imprecise. I worked LE Sales for Israeli Military Industries. I had UZI semi auto carbines with 14.5 inch barrels in 9MM, .40 and .45 ACP. The velocity differences were all over the place and often there seemed no rhyme or reason. Please share your results with us!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW... The data on Longshot and Berry's 165 gr FP's is directly from the Hodgdon Reloading site. It should be close to accurate.

D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you did read the label on the box where it says max velocity 1250fps?? I am guessing they thing there will be serious leading issues above that
Yep... it is an experiment.

D

·
Registered
88 Posts
you did read the label on the box where it says max velocity 1250fps?? I am guessing they thing there will be serious leading issues above that
Actually according to Berry's, the velocity has nothing to do with it, it's all about the pressure. The only problem is most people do not have an accurate way to measure pressure, so they give a velocity out of a 3-5" barrel (depending on caliber) as a reference point. Once you get above a certain pressure, you run the risk of the bullet separating from the plating and the plating staying behind in the barrel causing an obstruction.

Obviously, when you go with a longer barrel, you're going to have a higher velocity. It's the same pressure (for the most part).

So don't worry about higher than box stated velocities when using a 16" barrel, there's no harm in it.

I have plenty of experience with Berry's in my Sub2K 9mm, JARD J67 and my 50 Beowulf.

·
Registered
686 Posts
so it is the pressure(and I assume resulting temperatures) that is responsible for barrel leading and not the velocity down the barrel causing the lead to melt and foul the barrel? I had always attributed it to the latter but was thinking plain cast and not plated. live and learn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.