Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my new P3-AT, cleaned it, and went to the range to break it in.  Noticed a slight hesitation/hang up on chambering the first round of each magazine. I am attributing that to not having polished the feed ramp. I then proceeded to fire off 77 rounds with no failures.

Then, on number 78,  this happened :eek:.

It was the third round in the magazine when all of a sudden I heard a pfffffffhhhhhhhttttt and pop.  I waited 30 seconds and then racked the slide and the above casing came out.  The round and the other missing piece was still in the bore.  I broke down the pistol and used a wooden dowel to punch out the round. I didn't see any visible damage and ran a bore snake through it a couple times.  Reassembled and fire another 122 trouble free rounds ;D.

So what do you think happened?   I''ve had squibs before but not one that would break a case like this. I don't believe it fired out of battery either ???.  I was shooting Indpendence 90gr range ammo.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the P3-AT. The recoil was a lot less than I thought it would be. I guess my FG P32 can now go into retirement ;).

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I've had deformed casings and a least one split casing, but all cartridges seemed to fire OK. The split case I retreived did not eject. These were all Santa Barbara but other brands had deformed cases also. I don't know for sure if I've had more than one split casing, I never found any other than the one in the picture.

These casings were when my gun had about 300 rounds through it. At some point in time, I don't know exactly when, the deforming ceased. The gun has over 1000 rounds throught it now and still runs great.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
That's good to know. Ammo is getting expensive lately and Indepence is about the cheapest thing going at Sportsmans Warehouse on my way home from work.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
if i recall, and i would have to look at the paperwork, i believe it was UMC that blew up mine.

and the cause was a pin hole in the primer cap, causing an unequalization in pressure

(***** SOUNDS LIKE BEAUROCRATIC BS TO ME ****)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bobo,
Your split case looks familiar.... I've had that happen with WWWhite box. At least 4 shells that I found. They were getting pretty hefty smileys in my gun and I figured bullet set-back was causing over pressure issues. I've not had that happen with any other factory ammo or my handloads. The rest of the WWWhite box was fed to my colt without a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
C1skout said:
Bobo,
 Your split case looks familiar.... I've had that happen with WWWhite box. At least 4 shells that I found. They were getting pretty hefty smileys in my gun and I figured bullet set-back was causing over pressure issues. I've not had that happen with any other factory ammo or my handloads. The rest of the WWWhite box was fed to my colt without a problem.
C1skout,
Now that you mention it, I had slight smileys at that time also. As you said, that could have contributed to the split case. After I saw the test results on the poor expansion of smilied rounds that OldGranpa did I did a minor rampendectomy, the result is no more smileys - no more split cases either. But as far as I know I didn't have any more split cases even before I did the rampendectomy.

Bobo

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the rampectomy on mine also but still got smileys from the bullets hitting the frame below the barrel. I didn't want to file away at that in case it has to be sent back some day. I haven't had a problem with other ammo so I just shoot them, smileys and all.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The frame induced Smiley is not nearly as serious as the feed-ramp Smiley.
In fact, it is completely harmless.

It won't cause bullet set-back, and possibly high pressure, like the feed-ramp coming back into the magazine and telescoping the loaded round.

rcmodel

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Antibubba said:
So what do you think happened?   I''ve had squibs before but not one that would break a case like this..
I don't believe this was a squib load, or one without a powder charge.
(Notice the unburned powder granules in the photo)

I don't believe it was an over-pressure load.
(Because the case didn't bulge or blow out over the feed ramp cut. And the primer is not flattened at all. The "AUTO" on head stamp is full of powder soot from case leakage.)

What I think happened is this:

Bad or brittle brass cracked out from a Smiley impact deep-seating the bullet.
Or, it may have already been cracked during manufacturing when the bullet was seated.

Then, when the round was fired, there was not enough pressure developed to get a good powder burn and expand what was left of the broken case and seal off the chamber.

As a consequence, the burning powder gases leaked out around the loose fitting case and there was not enough pressure left to drive the bullet out of the barrel.

I would send the broken case & the box flap with the lot number on it to the Independence Ammo address on the box.
Probably might get you some free replacement ammo from them.

But if nothing else, they at least need to know about the defective brass.

rcmodel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.