Featured ETS Clear Mags a no-go for Gen 2

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by pdfromwv, Jan 11, 2016.

1. pdfromwv

pdfromwv New Member

Jun 18, 2012
    West Virginia
    Anyone try the new ETS mags in their Gen 2. I found one thread on here that mentioned ETS worked in a Gen 1. When I tried a Glock 18 ETS mag in my Gen 2 it was overly tight and barely locked in. Removal was very difficult. Forget about drop free. Anyone have a different experience? BTW Glock factory 33 rd mags and Magpuls work fine.

[​IMG]

2. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I have read of problems on another forum, possibly Glock, can't recall. Not sure why anyone would want them, as they are non-reinforced plastic.

3. pdfromwv

pdfromwv New Member

Jun 18, 2012
    West Virginia
    My S2K included a Magpul 17 rd mag which is all polymer. It runs just fine.

4. 191145

191145 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    They look cool. I have some ETS mags for the AR too. Anyway, it would be a simple matter to observe the magazine and find the rubs and polish them down so the mag enters the mag well better.
    ETS mags don't have reinforced feed lips because the polymer they use doesn't need it.

5. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    okay, the mags are so well constructed that they don't need the reinforcement provided by Glock, Colt, S&W, etc. I did not know they were that well made.

My concern is what happens to plastic in extreme weather...below freezing, above 100 degrees, or simply constant exposure to sunlight. Possibly they have something in the mix that prevents such problems.

Obviously, I don't care what mags people use, none of my business. I was asking why someone would use them, and you gave me the answer...they look cool....

6. smldg

smldg New Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    "They look cool" was basically the reason I got them - although so far they've worked fine in my gen 1. I'm no operator operating operationally (if I was I doubt the sub2k would be my weapon of choice) so I don't expect to be abusing them too much or subjecting them to any particularly extreme conditions.

ETS group has been making their translucent AR mags for a couple years now without any major issues, and plastic mags without reinforcement like pmags have been around for years (magpul's new glock mags aren't reinforced either). I noticed the new scorpion evo mags are similar to the ETS glock mags, translucent without any additional reinforcement. I've got a feeling this is a trend that is likely to continue. The original glock magazine design is 35 years old, and as polymer handguns have gone from being a rarity to commonplace there has been a lot more industry R&D done on the materials they're made of. It seems to me we've probably crossed that threshold past which there's really a need for metal reinforcement in a polymer mag, and now it's just a matter of waiting for people to get used to the idea before it becomes commonplace - kind of like what happened with polymer guns in general.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Member

Aug 27, 2015

8. 191145

191145 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    On the questions, you should visit the ETS site, which details cold-weather testing and everything else. I don't mean to say I 'support' ETS's claims, just that they are out there for review. BUT, from my experience with them, I have as yet no reason to doubt their claims. That said, genuine Glock magazines would always be my first choice for any weapon using them. I had never had anything 'Glock' until the other day when the mags I had ordered for my .40 Sub 2000(Glock) arrived. I have been into guns since 1990 and I have never before seen magazines of this quality. The stainless steel liner has smooth edges, particularly for the feed lips. This one small 'touch' impressed me, because I have had to smooth practically every metal feed lip edge I've ever had because it has such a large effect on feeding. Now I'm really excited about receiving the Sub 2000 in the next few days and trying it out.

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Back in the early days Glock had no metal lining. BTW if you end up buy a Glock the G4 mags fit in all Glocks. It's an ambidextrous thing.................

10. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Now, THAT is a seriously funny line. I like your style...

I understand and agree that there is a cool factor to them. Yes, polymer's have come a long way in 35 years. I also understand that you did not buy your weapon as a Home Defense gun. So, your recreational use of the mags makes perfect sense.

Although these appear to be pretty tough, and the company certainly touts their durability, I doubt you could "accidentally" drive over one and still use it, as I did with a Glock mag. My use of the S2K is both recreational, and as a HD/BUG, so I am sticking with the mag I know can be ran over and used....haha. I got my S2K in the G19 version, as I can also use the mags in my G26, which is my carry gun. The G17 mags are just a tad too large for my carry situation.

Happy shooting with your rifle...they are lots of fun.

11. 4thPointOfContact

4thPointOfContact New Member

Feb 4, 2011
    That's reason enough for me. I like Glock's original "Perfection" enough to want the magazine to not fall free if it's not empty. It's easy enough to flick out if needed and easier to retain if doing an admin reload. My experience with Gen1 magazines was they'd fall free consistently with 6 or less rounds which was good enough for me.

Not saying that anyone who wants fall-free magazines is wrong, just that I can see a desire for the non-free-fall.

12. orrah

orrah New Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I'm using "RWB" 33 round mags that I bought off of bud's gun shop for around $12-$15 each. They're made in Korea and I've yet to have an issue with them. Been using them for about 4 months now and I've been keeping them loaded with 31 rounds.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Member

Aug 27, 2015
    If you feel a "crunch" when loading the mag if is a little raised area up in the top half. Mine all do that.

The Asian Military in the 31rd .40's jam in my Glocks. It may be the same issue, just worse. I don't have 40 sub yet.

14. smldg

smldg New Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Well, the ETS mags look pretty cool in a G26 too:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I've found it a bit more difficult to conceal like that, so I will be sticking with standard glock mags for carry purposes...

15. EastPhilly

EastPhilly Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Theres a few torture tests of the ETS AR mags on youtube. The one I saw said they actually withstand more abuse than Magpul mags and some other polymer mags (Im new to ARs so I only really know ETS, MP, and Hex, as that is what I personally own). I bought the ETS with built in coupler just for funsies, but I have no doubt they will work well with how they feel and look.

I have an SGM 33 round 9mm mag and two koreans with glock internals. HAvent gotten to shoot with them yet, but working on it.

16. smokestack

smokestack New Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Well cause you can see through them. I think that's why they are. And why they clearly (pun intended) metal sleeves.

There are other all polymer glock mags coming out right away.

I know that other firearms have all polymer (except the spring of course) magazines and they aren't a big issue.

However, if you add a few little words like...
    "...IF THEY DON'T WORK/FIT, I'm not sure why anyone would want them,..."

Anyway...they look pretty sweet. They would get pretty scratched-up and sooted-up so would eventually be more difficult to see into but..
    Sure looks like an easy way to see if you're getting near the bottom of your mag versus those little holes on the Glock and other copy mags.

If they're gonna be cheap, put me down for a few.

Anyone know where they sell those clear pistol grips and gloves now? lol

17. 191145

191145 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Honestly, now that I think about it more and have the benefit of seeing 'SMLDG's picture, which is a riot :), I think I like just having the plain black mag extending out of the grip. So I doubt that I will be looking for the EDS pistol mags but the AR mags are great.

18. moss158

moss158 New Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I purchased some ETS 31 round 9mm Glock magazines from AIM Surplus. I loaded them up to 31 rounds and they fit my Gen 2 Sub 2k fine. I'll post back with a range report, but so far they are good to go.

19. Gaujo

Gaujo New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Hey, so what's the final word on the 31 rounders from ETS? Are they functional and drop free, or are they tight? I want them for range shooting and match shooting, not critical carry, but I do want them to drop free.

20. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    They work fine for me. I have 8 of them. I did have one crack for some reason...never found out what happened. They sent me a new mag, no questions asked.

And yes, they seem to drop free for me. In both my Glock 19 and my Gen2 Sub.

BTW, at a recent gun show in Daytona Beach, a vendor had them for sale at $20 apiece.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.