Ejection Questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BillK, Feb 21, 2011.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

I've done my research using several search engines and carefully viewed both the P3AT and PF9 animated function diagrams but couldn't find any answers to these questions...

1) How does the P3AT ejector work to eject the casing?
    2) How come over the years I've read of folks finding that they've been able to have their pistols eject the brass with the ejector missing?

Also...

3) What is it about many (most?) P3ATs that cause them to throw brass all over the place?

Thanks,
    Bill K.

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    1) Like all ejectors, the extractor holds the opposite side of the rim from the ejector. The opposite side of the rim makes contact with the ejector as the slide continues to the rear. As such, the case is thrown free.

2) As the slide recoils, the extractor holding the case on one side, the force generated when the slide stops it rearward motion causes the case to lose contact wit the breech face. The result is the case follows the path of least resistance and leaves the ejector port.

3) The slide operates on the very edge of what physics will allow. The low mass of the KT slide in proportion to the caliber means the slide moves at great speed rearward increasing "felt recoil." The speed of the slide under recoil and the low mass of the empty case means the energy of the slide is transfered to the brass resulting in empty brass being rocketed into the stratosphere. ;D

If you want to reduce the distance empty brass flies, some say using heavier recoil springs will do that for you. However, I don't know this first hand. I only use factory springs that guns were designed to use. That's just me though. YMMV.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks, I'm going to have to take a closer look at or maybe field strip, one of my P3ATs to visualize just what you mean but I think I've got it.

Oh, I'd be happy just to have the ejected brass from my P3ATs fly in the same direction regardless of distance. Sometimes a casing will fly forwards, to the left and even straight up and come down on my head. Thankfully none has ever come back at my face.

Bill K.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    OK, I took a peek. The ejector can't be built as part of the frame because the frame is aluminum and wouldn't take the beating from the brass. Ejector is steel which can take the beating from the brass and slips into the aluminum frame and projtects into the path of the extracted casing rim. What will they think of next? :)

Still leaves the third question. Wonder what/where the brass is hitting when the ejector is left out of the frame?

Thanks...

5. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    My wife and I were shooting the P-3AT at the range a couple of months ago. After we got home, she called me over and said, "Look at this."  Stuck in her hair was a casing sticking straight up like a stovepipe.  And that was after stopping at the grocery store on the way home.

If you think the Kel-Tec throws the brass, try a BuckMark .22 LR.