Ejected brass

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by xp100, Feb 18, 2008.

1. xp100

xp100 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I have a first generation PAT3. My problem is that many of the ejected empties hit me on the upper forehead. Granted at the range, I always wear eye protection, but, if I ever had to use the pistol in a defensive shoot, I would be afraid of being hit in an eye by an empty case. Has anyone else experienced this propblem, and if so, can it be corrected?. Granted, it may be better to get hit in the eye than being hit by the badguy, but I would not enjoy a possible permanebt eye injury either.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Hit in the eye? My P3AT (2nd Gen) throws the brass 15 feet up and 30 feet back. New springs maybe?

-Scott

3. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    maybe a tighter grip on the gun would help. extractor loose/worn maybe. like adamsesq said mine (second gen)shoots the brass 10-15 feet up and back.

4. All of the above except mine fly 10-15 miles I have been told... ;D

5. rasj

rasj New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    2nd gen here. Casings go about 15' up and about 15-20' behind me. My girlfriend loves to stand behind me and catch the brass in a bag while I shoot. I have noticed that on rapid fire, occasionally a casing will fly forward and hit the target I am shooting at. (usually 5' or so in front of me) but that is only when I am squeezing them off as fast as I can. I have never come close to being hit with an ejected casing though.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    NAS is the only one I know that has to file a flight plan to go shooting. Well, I guess the only one I know other than RJ!

-Scott

7. xp100

xp100 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    There is a big difference between the first and second generation pistol, mostly with the ejector. Also, if I am not mistaken, the weaker the spring, the further the brass will travel. A stiifer spring prevents the slide from moving too fast and slaming the action, thus the empties don't travel as far. This gun has less than 200 rounds thru it because of the ejected brass hitting the shooter(s). The gun is not shot limp wristed, in fact, when shot off a solid rest, the brass still hits the shooter.

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Maybe empties are hitting the barrel hood when being ejected, and getting diverted downward and back?

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    The only time mine has hit me in the head is when I let the gun rotate in my hand (limp wristing). This points the top of the slide at my head and thus the empty casing hits me in the forehead. Be aware that limpwristing is not a reflection on ones manhood just a descriptive term (probably not the best choice).

FWIW make SURE your wrist is locked and any movement of the gun is pivoted at the elbow.

10. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    When I get tired while shooting I sometimes tend to tilt the gun a bit to the left, like a slight gangsta style (my strong hand is the right). When this happens I sometimes will get hit with an ejected casing because as the gun rotates the ejected casings begin to come straight back rather than going to the right.

You might want to check this out and see if you doing the same thing.

Bobo

11. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Don't limp wrist it and wear shooting glasses.

12. Boris

Boris New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    I do not have a P3at but I do have a P32 and when my primary shooting buddie shoots it he gets hit in the forehead, everytime he fires it. His 1911 does it about 30% of the time and his Glock sends them over his head and sometimes into his face. My P32 shoots cases 5-7 feet slightly forward and to the right of me, the glock shoots em about 3-4 feet slightly behind and to the right of me, the 1911 shoots em like crazy to the right of me. He is a good shooter, he just don't lock his wrists...........

13. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    My 2nd gen flings them so far I can't always find them. At the range when I go to sweep up my booth, the brass will be flung out all over the place outside of the booth. Never been hit by one of them. My buddy was shooting my gun one time and standing five feet away from him, the brass would come out so fast that I couldn't even track it unless I stepped way back. These guns whip the brass out!

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    When I go out to shoot "heavily" I actually put up an entire screen house to catch the brass from these babies! It's the only way to capture it all and I refuse to litter the forests, polute the land and give other gun owners a bad name.

-Scott

15. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    If your First Generation P3AT is firing brass at your forehead, you may not have the improved ejector (part #115). The old one was tall and extended up above the frame. The new one is flat and flush with the top of the frame. A call to KT service, 1-800-515-9983 will get you a free new style ejector mailed to you.

If you have a 2G P3AT and this is happening, you are allowing your wrist to flex up so far during recoil that the top of the ejector port is pointing at your head.

Tips for locking your wrist:

TWO HANDED:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
    2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
    3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
    4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
    5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
    This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you have malfunctions while firmly using this grip--Then it's the gun.

SINGLE HAND GRIP:

1. Line up on target.
    2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.

SHOOTING FROM THE HIP

To shoot from close in with one hand, do the same straining forward, but lock your elbow so the hand can't actually GET forward. This works from 90 degrees or even from the hip--By tensing your arm muscles. You should practice both.

Packer.

16. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Mine is 2gen it does not hit me but it has shot out the range-lane light bulb several times!! :p