Easier to see sights

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Rogereh, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    I just can't see my p-3AT's sights so I added a dab of Gander Mtn Blaze Orange fishing lure paint to the front site and painted the rear with refrigerator touch-up paint. Applied with a wooden tooth pick. Makes a big difference.
    ~ROGER~

[​IMG]

2. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Looks good!

I painted mine, also, but I seldom use them in practice.

Have a great day.

Longbeard48

3. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks for the pics.  Looks great.  I haven't done my P3AT sights yet but I painted just the front sight on my snubby with day-glow orange model paint.  Made for quick sight acquisition without doing anything to the rear sight.  I think I'll do the front sight on my P3AT and see how it goes.

4. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    You need to paint it white first then put the orange/green/or yellow over the white. That makes it much more brighter and visible.
    ~ROGER~

5. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    I agree paint it white first. I did with the idea then to paint it day glow orange but liked the white instead.
    Then I learned to point shoot. :cool:

6. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Good idea Rogereh - I was just getting ready to paint mine. :cool:

7. bbauman

bbauman New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    My 1st gen P32 has factory orange paint on the sights. I just put white on my new 2nd gen P3AT but got a bottle of neon orange too.

Today I took both out and shut off the lights in the safe room, came from the outside hall into the safe room, which is pitch black. Once the light got low you couldn't see the orange at all. The white was visible for MUCH longer as the door slowly swung shut to total blackness.

Seeing is believing, white it is going to stay.

8. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    I have several guns with all white sights but all are of the tree dot style or the dot and box of the Glocks. The P-3AT is different in the fact that the rear sight has such a small opening that makes the front sight difficult to see within that small notch. I tried all white first but needed something to distinguish the front sight from the rear. All white was just a little better than leaving them all black (which I hated because it was very difficult for me to see, especially on a black target bull). I also tried florescent green on the rear sight and both white and orange on the front. Those combinations did not work for me but may work for others. In my opinion the P-3AT has a horrible rear sight and nothing I was able to do made it especially better. The white rear with orange front works best for me. IF was more skillful I would do a white box on the rear like the Glocks. Then there would be a small black baffle between the front and rear sight. It's just too small for me to make a nice straight, square on that rear sight. Others may be able to do it...
    ~ROGER~

9. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I've had mine painted for a while now and like them that way. It sure helps at the range when I take my time and place all my shots.

10. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I've given up with my Peanut's sights. I only practice not using them these days. It seems that's the way I'll need it, that's the way I'll train. But, that's just me.

11. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    With this gun point shooting is the only way to go. At 7yds or less you don't have time to look for small sights. Not if someone or something is closing on you. :-[

12. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    In crunch time, painted sights are useless, because when split seconds count, it's just point and shoot. But, I still have my sights painted. Florescent orange in front and florescent green in the rear. From seven yards, I can point and shoot and hit the target. But, it's nice to slow down, point, aim, shoot for the bullseye. So, painted sights are nice on the range, yet won't hinder me in any way in a defensive action.

13. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I put a laser on mine! This way I don't need to line up the sights. I just put the dot where I want it. The sights that are on the P3AT are too small for low light conditions IMHO. I do have the painted {white} sights on my Glock and like them.

Craig

14. brian618

brian618 New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    How does the Fishing lure paint hold up to solvents?

15. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Seems to me, when you're in a life-threatening situation every edge you can get is welcome!

In circumstances where the sights are well lit, bright paint gives an additional edge.

Why not have that edge when it's so easy to obtain?

In the same vein, a laser gives you an edge in low light and darkness. Why not have that edge also?
    [​IMG]

Bobo

16. thedave8

thedave8 New Member

Sep 14, 2009

well spoken........where can i get a slip- on grip like yours?

17. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    well spoken........where can i get a slip- on grip like yours?[/quote]
    The grip in that photo is a Pachmayr, I now have a Hogue. The Pachmayr was OK, but the rubber material split easily, the Hogue material is much tougher. There are a lot of good options for grips for thr P-3AT, none are very expensive, you might want try more than one to see which works best for you.

Slip-On Grips for the Kel-Tec P-3AT
    Hogue, Pachmayr, and Glaser, make slip-on grips that fit the P-3AT. They are all a bit different. Some may need trimming. Glaser also makes “pads” that stick to the front and/or back straps to soften and slightly enlarge the grip. AGRIP and Tractiongrips makes a pre-cut stick-on grip.

Hogue HandAll, Jr
    These have finger grooves, are thinner at the front and back straps, have slight palm swells, and are textured on the sides. These tend to be a bit loose on the P3-AT, so a layer or two of bicycle tube or a bit of something sticky helps to keep them tight.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=6938&s=

Pachmayr, Model 4
    These have finger grooves, are the same thickness all around, and are textured all over. These tend to be a bit loose on the P3-AT, so a layer or two of bicycle tube or a bit of something sticky helps to keep them tight.
    http://www.pachmayr.com/slip-on-grips.php

Glaser - A KTOG member.
    These grips have no finger grooves, are the same thickness all around, and are smooth all over.
    The pads are self-adhering and can be removed easily.
    http://www.ktaddons.com/

AGRIP
    http://www.brookstactical.com/Pages/fitlist.html

Tractiongrips - A KTOG member.
    http://www.tractiongrips.com/

Or you can make your own:
    One good thing about doing it this way is that the material is thin and you can experiment by trying a different number of layers. Some bike tubes have ribbed areas, so you can make a ribbed or smooth grip.
    I got a couple of tubes free - went to a local bike shop and asked for any bad ones they were throwing away.
    The 20 x 1.75 - 2.125 worked best for me.
    http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a7/a7.html

18. ericire12

ericire12 Guest

I used blaze orange spray paint applied with a Q-tip.