Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the combat aperture flip up rear sight from Earley on GB for my 9mm gen2. Seems like it fits perfectly and is well machined, we'll find out if it's zeroed when I can get to the range. So far I am very happy with it, much better than the TK version I tried and returned.

Here is my issue: I have the screw in fairly tight so there is little/no lateral wobble while folding, because I don't want the front sight guards hitting the stock when I fold it. Because of this, it's very hard to use the lever to flip it up or down. It activates properly when I open it, and I can push it down by pressing on the sight itself with a little effort. It doesnt seem like I am in danger of bending it by doing this, it seems pretty sturdy.

Has anybody else had this issue, or come up with a workaround?

Should I lube the washers with white lithium, or something else? Should I polish the hinge/pin with emery cloth? Leave it alone and hope it breaks in?

·
Registered
185 Posts
What do you mean by "see if it's zeroed?" The rear sight is fixed, all adjustments are made to the front sight.

·
Registered
670 Posts
... I just want to make sure it's accurate. Any input on the tightness on the lever?
The flip-down rear sight mentioned is the best that I've found. When I installed mine on the Gen 2, it was very tight & stiff.
No looseness (play) on the lever, as the stainless steel pivot rod is machined to tolerances much higher than the TK model.
IMHO, you will be pleased with it. :cool:;):D

·
Registered
404 Posts
I like that it takes a bit of effort to utilize the thumb lever. I'd not worry about it. The looser it is the greater chance it doesn't stay put where it needs to be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I like that it takes a bit of effort to utilize the thumb lever. I'd not worry about it. The looser it is the greater chance it doesn't stay put where it needs to be.
Agreed, but I should be able to engage the lever without worrying about snapping off the polymer handle.

EDIT: Lever is aircraft aluminum, not polymer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Crap, you're right. Its aluminum and doesnt look like its going anywhere. Sorry, I just got it installed last night and am still getting used to it. I did have an issue with the TK version and returned it. I just dropped some Hoppes oil between the washers and will loosen the screw a 1/8 turn until it breaks in a little.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I played around a little this weekend, I had it screwed it way too tight; the hex bolt on the left side wasn't even rotating when I moved the lever. I loosened it, oiled up the washers, and have found the happy medium where the sight activates perfectly when you unfold it, stays firmly in place, folds down with a little effort but no thumb pain, and my sub folds up without the front sight moving laterally and hitting the stock. All in all, it took a little tweaking to overcome a user error at install, but this is a great upgrade.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got the combat aperture flip up rear sight from Earley on GB for my 9mm gen2. Seems like it fits perfectly and is well machined, we'll find out if it's zeroed when I can get to the range. So far I am very happy with it, much better than the TK version I tried and returned.

Here is my issue: I have the screw in fairly tight so there is little/no lateral wobble while folding, because I don't want the front sight guards hitting the stock when I fold it. Because of this, it's very hard to use the lever to flip it up or down. It activates properly when I open it, and I can push it down by pressing on the sight itself with a little effort. It doesnt seem like I am in danger of bending it by doing this, it seems pretty sturdy.

Has anybody else had this issue, or come up with a workaround?

Should I lube the washers with white lithium, or something else? Should I polish the hinge/pin with emery cloth? Leave it alone and hope it breaks in?
I also had some stuff from TK including the rear sight. It was a piece of junk. I wish I looked on here before I bought it. I returned it and then had to fight for my funds back. I will not do business with them ever again.

I also am looking for a good rear sight for my 9mm Sub 2000 Gen 2 (Tan).

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can't say it enough. Best upgrade I done to the sub2k. I know some folks might think its a bit steep for a replacement sight but IMO its been worth every penny. Kendive I don't think you will be disappointed with Earley's version.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.