Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking through the odd new items with various distributors and happened upon an EAA Appeal listed on the site. There wasn't much information on it, just a funny looking picture and the basics. I saw ".22 magnum" and "bull pup design" and figured I'd check it out.
Last week I got a call and was told there were a few of them available, so I went ahead and ordered two of them (for good measure). I've had a chance to briefly take it out of the box to handle it some and it is really an odd weapon.

I'll post a range report when I get a chance to take it out and shoot it some, but here are my initial observations:

1. The rifle comes with an ugly muzzle extension thing that needed to be removed. Fortunately, it has a short picatinny rail under it and the barrel is rather plain looking under it. I was hoping for threads, but to no surprise it is not threaded.
2. The rifle is extremely light and well balanced.
3. The whole system is advertised as ambidextrous and appears to be easily converted to fully left handed if needed.
4. The weird carry handle type raised rail is a bit silly looking and cheap feeling. Did I mention that it is silly looking? I think a flat full length rail would have been nice. That would allow for adding AR15 type carry handles and sights or optics.
5. The sights aren't all that great and I really can't believe they went this route with sights. The front is very wide (1/8" round front post), and the black post is hard to work with as it pretty much fills the notch in the back sight with no light on either side of the post to quickly take aim. The sights and rail are pretty high in relation to the bore, so adding height factor, I'm not sure if a scope is very practical, which is a shame considering the sights are crap.
6. The controls seems pretty intuitive to use. The magazine release is well placed, the charging handle is easy to grab, and the safety is simple to manipulate.
7. The trigger is actually decent. I was expecting it to be much heavier than this. I don't have a trigger pull gauge here, but I'd guess it to be somewhere around 5-6 pounds. There is about an eighth of an inch of travel before you feel anything, and once you get there it breaks in about another eight of an inch with just a slight rough spot before doing so. I would expect it to smooth out with some use though.

All considered, I'll have to wait until I fire this one to make any real judgements. A flat (low) rail would have made this a much better setup in my opinion. It is "Kel-Tec" lightweight, but can actually be found, so I was really hoping to be awed by it when it got here. A featherweight .22 mag in bull pup configuration is bound to be fun, so I'm going to try to overlook what I perceive as negatives for now. It isn't the RMR-30 I've been wanting for so long, but it may turn out to be fun.

No ugly muzzle extension:

with ugly extension:

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Well, it sure meets the 'ray gun look' criteria. Is there room in the trunk for much other than a spare? That rectangular hole behind the doughnut hole, is that where the spent shells come out? Looks like it might have an extractor spring on it. If it is that far back, does a pistol type mag fit up behind the doughnut hole? Looks like that might be a mag release button right there.
Overall, neat looking. I love the .22mag, and agree that the handel is odd.
Waiting for a report....

lop

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Low-to-mid $300's seem to be the going rate. I imagine a few will pop up on SlickGuns for around $339 or so.
The magazine is behind the thumb hole. The release is at the bottom of that hole. The ejection port is above and behind the thumb hole area. The left side has a removable plate to cover the potential ejection port if you swap it around to make a lefty out of it, which should only take a couple of minutes.
I think they were going for a magnum version of a Walther G22 so many people wanted to see.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Dang. Something else for my "Space Gun" collection. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Looks a LOT like my Walther G22 at first glance.

Not a bad thing, as I personally find the G22 comfortable to shoot and oddly appealing...

ETA: D'oh, didn't see the earlier G22 reference above. :eek:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Looks a LOT like my Walther G22 at first glance.

Not a bad thing, as I personally find the G22 comfortable to shoot and oddly appealing...

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB - Bullpups/WaltherG22Tleftwithbothcases.jpg.html

ETA: D'oh, didn't see the earlier G22 reference above. :eek:
I was thinking the G22 would be a nice companion for my P22. What do you think of the G22 as far as reliability and ease of field stripping? Does it use the same magazines as the P22?

BTW, I hope I didn't just jack the thread. Sorry if I did ;-)

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it had a flat top and got rid if the butthole stock it would be pretty cool. It's probably the only bull pup I would be interested in as I don't like a high powered rifle round going off that close to my face.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I was thinking the G22 would be a nice companion for my P22. What do you think of the G22 as far as reliability and ease of field stripping? Does it use the same magazines as the P22?

BTW, I hope I didn't just jack the thread. Sorry if I did ;-)
Short version: Very reliable, accurate, not the easiest to strip, and the mags are similar but use different base pads and are not interchangeable as-is. Also, even if you can find one of the rare factory-threaded ones (like mine above), it isn't the std. US rimfire thread for suppressors, etc. If I hadn't gotten a very good deal on it, I would have let it lie...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
That's a pretty thorough rundown. Based on your impressions of it, as well as a few other reviews I've seen, it definitely would have to be available for a really good deal to make it a good choice. That's too bad. It looks so cool!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm not a happy camper right now! I was just checking over the rifle again and noticed the magazine follower seemed pretty short for a .22 magnum. Come to find out, the distributor got one over on me. I had the magnum version on my "wants" list, and at the time there was no .22lr version even listed. The rep called and told me they had a couple of the Appeal rifles in stoke, not mentioning that they were a different caliber than I was wanting. I foolishly said to go ahead and ship them and when they arrived I didn't even bother to look at the magazines. The caliber isn't listed on the outside of the rifle so I didn't notice the difference until now. I had to correct my gun log to reflect the true caliber, and now I really don't have an interest in leaping them. I have plenty of .22lr firearms to plink with, and these just have zero "Appeal" to me now. If I wanted a .22lr like this I would have bought a used G22 online somewhere, or bought a bull pup stock for one of my Ruger 10/22 rifles.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Well I'm not a happy camper right now! I was just checking over the rifle again and noticed the magazine follower seemed pretty short for a .22 magnum. Come to find out, the distributor got one over on me. I had the magnum version on my "wants" list, and at the time there was no .22lr version even listed. The rep called and told me they had a couple of the Appeal rifles in stoke, not mentioning that they were a different caliber than I was wanting. I foolishly said to go ahead and ship them and when they arrived I didn't even bother to look at the magazines. The caliber isn't listed on the outside of the rifle so I didn't notice the difference until now. I had to correct my gun log to reflect the true caliber, and now I really don't have an interest in leaping them. I have plenty of .22lr firearms to plink with, and these just have zero "Appeal" to me now. If I wanted a .22lr like this I would have bought a used G22 online somewhere, or bought a bull pup stock for one of my Ruger 10/22 rifles.
That's pretty shady. I'd be pissed too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts