Duracoating my old P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Zepo, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Zepo

Zepo New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Hi All, I was hoping someone could give me some information on duracoating my slide and frame. The blue finish on my slide has seen better days and I was going to try to refinish it myself but I have some questions. Should I completely disassemble the slide and remove the firing pin and paint the extractor and and spring seprate? is there going to be a problem with the tolorences of the parts going back in? also with spraying the insde of the frame do you just use one coat or several? Also would you spray the firing pin hole area?  (breech face) has anyone had any problems that they would like to share so I don't screw up....lol also how thick is the duracoat.
    Thanks in advance for your help guys.....Zepo

2. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008

3. KelTex78

KelTex78 Active Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Don't paint the firing pin! I would personally just PermaBlue touchup the worn areas but if you are set on a Duracoat, go for it! I would probably remove the extractor and then just coat the outside of the frame unless the inside was badly worn. There are others here who would be able to better tell you what to do/not do.

4. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yes, and degrease the bejeezus out of everything. Proper surface preparation is critical.

Not unless you get carried away when applying the Duracoat

Anything you apply Duracoat to will require several coats, with flash drying in between.

Yes, but clean out firing pin hole with drill bit after 24 hrs (the breech face will wear)

Use the highest quality respirator you can get your hands on. The paper mask types are NOT adequate. Lacquer thinner for initial degreasing followed by TruStrip degreasing right before spraying. Use Durafill if you have any scratches or pits.The longer you can stand to wait before reassembly, the better. 3 weeks is not out of line. The Duracoat continues to cure for months.

Depends on your sprayer. (I like airbrushes) Each coat should be very thin. all markings, as well as pits and scratches will show through.  Final thickness depends on how many coats.

You are welcome, and good luck.

PS I am serious about that respirator!

GL

5. Deuce3

Deuce3 Active Member

May 6, 2008