Dumb Question on Pinky extensions...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by engineer88, Jan 10, 2008.

1. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    OK, I have looked all over but not really seen anything definitive let alone anecdotal. Have you guys ever had these cause the mag to drop? I figure in conjunction with the recoil of these buggers it has at least got to put out a bit more strain on the catch or what not? I dunno, would just love to hear from some of you that have fired hundreds of rounds with them on the mags. Would like to know if you have had any issues with them. Thanks!

2. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Just curious, are you asking about the no-round extensions, or the +1 round extensions?

There are several types of the former, only one kind of the latter as far as I know.

3. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Apr 7, 2007
    With the Bersa type pinky extensions I have had no problems with them. I don't call them pinky extensions since with these on I can just get 2 fingers secure on the grip. I don't really see any problems with putting pressure on it, in fact only very little gets transfered to them. I tried shooting the P3AT without them and the little guy felt like it was going to kick out of my hand and will not shoot it without them.

BTW: There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. However, this being KTOG, I highly doubt you'll get any dumb answers. ;)

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I had a mag drop issue develope with my gun which had and still has a Bersa base plate on the mag. When I called Kel-Tec about the problem I straight out asked the fellow taking my call if the finger extention was/caused the problem. The answer from Kel-Tec was NO! Kel-Tec sent me a replacement mag catch and spring and told me to give the new parts a try. Never got to put the new catch and spring on because in researching the problem I found this forum and bought a metal mag catch off one of the guys here. No mag drops with the metal catch installed in perhaps 300 or so rounds!

Oh, BTW I never slammed my mag home so that was not what brought on my mag drop problem.

Take care ...

5. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Cool! That is exactly what I meant. Yeah I was shooting at the (I guess I should say ring finger extensions) that are +0 like the Bersa and what not. They help a lot with controlling the P3AT so I want to use them when I get mine. Last time I fired my Brother's though I was dropping it every so often and he sanded the release down a bit a while back. So I must be really death-gripping it, hehe. That is good to know it is me! Thanks!

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Well, some of us can put up moronic answers apparently, but I don't know about dumb ;D

In theory any down/side pressure on the mag could make a mag catch fail IF it is right on the verge of failing. If so, it is not the extension's fault and the mag catch needed replacing anyway. In fact you could thank the extension for pointing it out.

Some people will not shoot their P3ATs without them. Some people (self included) can't stand them. But then I generally don't like grip sleeves that have finger grooves that force me to put my fingers in any particular position either. I DO really like the +1 extensions however. My point, try a variety and see which one (if any) you like best.

-Scott

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I am the "Brother" mentioned heretofore. :)

I did sand the release button down. The problem is spasmodic and I cannot truly lay the blame on one "culprit". I can go 200 rounds without an involuntary drop, and then sometimes I will start a session with it occurring and it persists throughout the session. I at first suspected the magazines. After very close inspection and testing I still cannot ascertain the problem. Curiously, the session that the OP spoke of where he fired my P3AT and the mag was involuntarily dropping, I had no such issues that day and we were both using the same magazine.

I will watch this thread to see if anyone has any good suggestions.

BTW, the magazine "extensions" I employ are the +0 variety and I bought them directly from Kel-Tec.

8. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    When I first put on the Bersa type finger extensions the extra pressure exerted on the mags caused them to drop. The real problem was that the plastic mag catch was worn.

There are two cures for this:

1. Hold the mag catch in while inserting the mag then release it, so it doesn't wear.
    2. Replace the plastic mag catch with a metal one.

I opted for (2.) and have had no trouble since.
    Another plus for this fix is the comforting "click" sound you get when loading a mag. :D

Bobo

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Follow-up question: Are these metal catches available now/again?

10. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Follow-up question:  Are these metal catches available now/again?
    [/quote]The last person I know of that was making them is Two_Pistol_Packer. He has been in the process of moving his shop and has not been supplying them. You can contact him through PM or e-mail.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=Packer

Bobo

11. I USED TO HAVE MAG DROPS ISSUES

If the mag drops, check finger placement at or near mag release button during shooting.

If that is the problem, move fingers and or sand down the button.

If it does not look like a finger placement issue, check the bottom of the magazine.  The plastic bottom of the mag should clear the bottom of the grip when inserted.  Some times there may be an excessively thick plate or "overflash" plastic in the way of letting the magazine seat properly.

If that is the issue, shave off plastic at top of mag base or extension to get enough clearance between the base and the bottom of the grip.

This is what good clearance should look like.

[​IMG]

The metal catches are great, I have them on all of my 3AT's, but Walt is not making them for now while he re-builds his shop.

12. poknatupnk

poknatupnk New Member

Dec 17, 2007
    I need to get one of the metal mag releases