Dumb Question (I guess)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Kempo, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Kempo

Kempo New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Am I right to think that the hammer is not back on my P3AT when I have one in the chamber? That it cocks as I pull the trigger back?

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Yes.

It is only partially cocked and resting against the internal hammer block drop safety.

The only time it is ever fully cocked is when you pull the trigger and again when the slide cycles over it.
    But it follows the slide back down to rest on the hammer block every time.

rcmodel

3. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    It's back about half way, pulling the trigger fully cocks and releases the hammer.
    The PF9 works the same way unlike the P11 which is fully cocked by pulling the trigger.
    This is why the 3AT and PF9 have lighter triggers than the P11.

4. unclee

unclee New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    here is the description of how the trigger works

To achieve highest operator safety, combined with ease of handling, the pistol is
    "DOUBLE ACTION ONLY". It has no manual safety and the hammer is never
    fully cocked.
    The hammer is of a novel design. Compared to a conventional hammer, the pistol
    is very light and consequently, operates at high velocities. It is driven by a special
    free floating extension spring. Furthermore, the hammer's mass is concentrated around
    its axis giving an inertia in the critical direction of the firing pin close to zero.
    In its ready position the hammer is securely held by the hammer block. Only by
    deliberately pulling the trigger can the hammer block be disengaged. The tilting
    action of the barrel excludes firing unless the breech is fully locked. A direct blow to
    the hammer is impossible, as it is enclosed by the slide and grip. The hammer's
    energy is transmitted to the primer through a low mass firing pin.

5. unclee

unclee New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    I guess we all jumped on that at the same time

6. Kempo

Kempo New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Thanks guys for the confirmation of what I was thinking.

7. John_E_Davies

John_E_Davies New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Spokane, WA USA
    I kinda have to ask..... why you don't just watch the back of your pistol while you dry fire it (safely)? You can easily see the hammer, since it's completely visible, unlike in a striker fired gun.

Unless your hammer cavity is full of pocket or belly button lint? ;)

John Davies
    Spokane WA

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Probably because dry firing these weapons damages them.

Unless of course by "safely" you meant with a snap cap (which most people don't have).

-Scott