Dry Firing Safely

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sprinter1, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Zullo74 posted this in the P11 section http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1207010747 It can be extended to the P32, P3-AT and PF9 with a slight modification. The modification requires removing 1/8" from the Buttonhead screw.

Before the naysayers jump on this, I'll give some backing information. I x300 magnified the screw hole and a new firing pin and took pictures on an optical comparator, then magnafluxed the slide and firing pin. I then dry fired it about 500 times. I then x300 magnified and took pictures again and compared them and then magnafluxed the parts again. I found ZERO difference other than a very light polish of the oxide finish on the firing pin where it came into contact will the ball bearing. I did use Blue Loctite on the button head screw.

The reason this mod caught my intention was one of the ranges I goto requires you to dry fire your weapon into a trap before the range master will clear you to leave the firing area. This mod eliminates my changing of the screws after every couple of range visits.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I pulled my 2G P32's FP to get a detail drawing so I could determine exactly where on the ball it will make impact with the slide and how many threads will be left.

1) the root diameter of the 6-32. by design it should only be 0.099", however I was able to force a 7/64" (0.109") drill into the hole. so for 2G P32 &P3ATs the ball will need to be smaller than 7/64"

2) the lenght of the 6/32 is 0.28" so if you cut it enough of a 7/64" ball, that leaves 0.17" . now allow 0.025 for the spring, that gives about 0.14"" of engagement (one diameter of a 6/32 or about 5 threads)

i measure/calc thicknes of threaded slide at 0.20" about 6 1/2 threads

the notch in the FP is 0.08", thus the ball will be in the threaded slide about 0.030" (1 thread)

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    OK JFB - for those of us who are not engineers and who understand every word but not the sum of the whole: What does that mean?

-Scott

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    That I should of added that I used a .100" ball bearing for the P32, P3-AT, PF9 and a .125 ball bearing for the P11, P40 ;)

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Thanks Sprinter1...

(Sorry i had to take a phone call about the possiblity of being able to have a roof and something to eat next month.)

That is it ...

a 0.10" ball would be needed. any thing bigger will not fit, any thing smaller will not engage the slide.

Even with the loss of one thread engagement, there is sufficeint with at least one diameters worth.

Now would I do it :-/

6. TWayne

TWayne New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Good info to have...