Dry firing a P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CrackerKen, Jul 16, 2009.

1. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    So, I bought a .380 Snap Cap and thought I'd do a little dry firing to get the feel of things while I'm waiting to go to the range.  I fed the snap cap from the clip (with no other ammo) and dry fired it once. After that, it wouldn't work. The trigger moved, but didn't engage the hammer.  The only way I could dry fire again, was to jack the slide and reload the snap cap, for one more try.  Is this normal?  I'm thinking that the hammer is no longer half cocked after the first dry fire, so the trigger won't work anymore until the slide moves the hammer back again.  This is a newer P-3AT, s/n K70##.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    It's normal, you can with practice, pull the slide back just a bit to reset the hammer. I can do it most of the time and dry fire several times in a row keeping the same snap cap in the chamber.

CJ

3. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks CJ. I'm looking forward to getting to the range for the real thing soon.

4. StanSimmons

StanSimmons New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Just pull back the slide until you hear a "click". On my P3AT that is about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch.

5. Biker_Jim

Biker_Jim New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Same here! Works great. ;)

6. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks again folks. Tried it. Works for me.

7. fiveseven

fiveseven New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    The kel tec website says that the p3at is double action but (unless I am very confused) its not. The slide partially resets the hammer and only after the slide moves back can the trigger pull the hammer back the rest of the way.

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    It still is double action. The act of pulling the trigger both cocks the hammer and releases it. The "pre-cocked" thing is also used on Glocks, which are striker fired. Neither gun is single action.