Dry fire problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mike, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

May 21, 2005
    It looks like I won't get to a range before the end of the month to try out the new P3. Cleaned and lubed it. Check all moving parts. Loaded snap caps. When I fire on a snap cap the trigger does not reset so I can fire again. I can rack the slide to eject the snap cap and feed another and then dry fire again. Is this normal? My P11 can be fired on one snap cap repeatedly.

Mike

2. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    you need live ammo in there so it can reset the trigger. this isnt like a revolver where you can just keep pulling the trigger. you are fine.

3. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Your P11 does not have a hammer block and therefore has a "second strike" capability. Your P3 has a hammer block and has to have the slide pulled back about a quarter inch to reset the trigger.

Your's are working just the way they are designed.

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It has nothing at all to do with live ammo.

As RAT76 just stated, that is the way they work.

Just like a Glock, which also has to have the slide cycled slightly to re-set the trigger.

If you do it right, it won't eject the snap-cap every time.

rcmodel

5. Mike

Mike New Member

May 21, 2005
    Thanks. I thought it might have something to do with the hammer block but wanted to make sure.

Mike

6. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    You only have to move the slide about 1/4" to reset the trigger for dry firing. This way the snap cap won't eject.

Bobo

7. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i shouldnt answer questions if i am not 100% sure. i learned my lesson now plus learned how the trigger resets for future snap cap usage. i am going to do more reading from now on than answering since i am still a rookie.