Dropped my P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Rogereh, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Last night I was taking my P3AT out of my cargo shorts pocket with the Uncle Mike's holster and the gun dropped out of the holster on onto our hardwood floor. I was expecting a loud bang but guess what, nothing happened. Didn't even mar the finish (maybe the floor a little). I guess the hammer safety works after all. :)
    ~Roger~

2. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    That's very good to know! Thanks for sharing the results of your "experiment." :-?

3. frankalm

frankalm New Member

May 29, 2009
    That should add to everyones sense of security.

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Good to know the hammer block worked as expected. I'd bet you heart skipped a beat, I know mine would have. ;D

CJ

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I've seen similar topics mentioned a number of times, but never saw an actual test. So...

Procedure:
    1. use bullet puller to remove bullet and powder.
    2. tap bullet back into cartridge to original depth, without powder. amost identical to the original in weight and size
    3. load cartridge into chamber
    4. fill magazine with 6 buffalo bore, normal carry ammo
    5. insert full mag into P3AT mag well
    6. raise P3AT as far as I can reach above hard wood floor - just above a typical door frame
    7. angle P3AT as needed to make contact with floor at end of frame - just below where the serial # is stamped
    8. drop onto hard wood floor, listen for sound
    9. repeat steps 6 to 8 a total of 10 times
    10. do it again, but angle P3AT to make contact on muzzle end
    11. repeat step 10 a total of 5 times (the floor doesn't like the muzzle end)
    12. remove cartridge and inspect cap at 3x magnification

Results:
    1. no bang at any time
    2. cap did have a very slight dent in it
    3. re-loaded blank cartridge and pulled trigger. it went "pop".
    4. the bullet stuck in the barrel just far enough to be out of sight - looking into the chamber with the slide fully open - scary!
    5. removed bullet with a few taps on a phillips screwdriver down the barrel
    6. black residue in barrel, on case, and bullet from the cap

Conclusion:
    Mine appears to be drop-safe, yours may be too  :)

6. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    Guess you missed the section where I state that I "accidentally" dropped mine... ;D

7. patrat

patrat New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Wheelguy, you've got bigger ones than me... good info though. Did you take any pictures of the "lightly dented" primer?

8. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Sounded like an accident, but it got me to thinking about this often repeated question. So curiosity got the best of me - just had to know, even if it meant a few dents in the floor. Now for the followup tests with my Glock ... :D

Thanks for the - er - compliment. Not really much risk in this test for 2 reasons...
    1. powder was removed from the round that was in the chamber
    2. ArmaLaser made a video showing repeated dropping of the P3AT from 10 feet onto CONCRETE, for crying out loud, with no ill effect on the gun or the laser. How many such drops? Over one hundred!

I tried to get a pic of the lightly dented primer, but my camera couldn't pick it up. I'd eyeball it to be about 1/4 the depth of a normally fired round, though.

9. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Drop tested mine the other day with one in the chamber. I sometimes put my P3at above my medicine cabinet while showering. This time I forgot and opened the mirror before shaving and it happened so quick I didn't know what it was. About a 3' drop into the sink but no bang and no damage.

10. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

I think pocket holsters are a prime example of where the belt clip can be advantageous. When I pocket carry I always use a holster, but they don't have what you would call positive retention. It's the nature of the beast. The belt clip will help to keep the gun attached to the holster when you remove the entire package from your pockets, but doesn't detract from actually drawing the weapon.

11. hs106

hs106 New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    First, I'd like to thank the Forum for all the great help I got in selecting the P3AT and a holster. I just got a FIST IWB kydex that is both cantable and tuckable. It also accomodates my CT laser. I ordered it with a clip that lets me wear it without a belt. The clip really does a good job securing the the holster and gun and does not move at all on the draw. I was told that the lady at FIST could be a little--how shall I put it  ::) -- off-putting, and she was....but really, she was just all business. Took about two and half weeks to get it after ordering.  I also ordered a wallet holster from KD but have yet to receive it.