Drew My P3AT Today....still shaking a little!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by lagerbrewer, Oct 31, 2008.

1. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I work in a bar downtown. We have a building that we only operate on the weekends and keep literally boarded up during the week because we have been broken into so many times. I was inside doing some work and when I finished, I set the alarm and left. I forgot to do something so I put my toolbox away and returned. Disarmed the alarm and walked in when I heard something from the other end of the building. I just stayed still for a few minutes and there it was again. I moved slightly closer to that area and saw that a light was on, a near necessity since the windows are boarded up if you were going to do something in that end of the building. There was the noise again, I was positive someone was in there. It's a bar area and has been the subject of numerous break in's for the liquor.

I drew my P3AT and had an LED 2D cell mag light in the other hand. I crossed my wrists to provide light and sighting for the P3AT. I was calm, not at all feeling nervous which is strange in retrospect. My plan was to hold the guy at gunpoint until the cops arrived. Normally I wouldn't draw without lethal threat but in the case of a break in, the basis of the Castle Doctrine crossed my mind despite the fact I wasn't in my "castle".

I rounded the corner on a far axis enough to expose the corner of the bar while I was still in the darkness. The gun was pointed at the base of the bar where it intersects the floor. I did not want to point the weapon until I determined the target was unfriendly. A little farther and then I saw the "perp", a new employee I just hired a few weeks before. He has keys and codes, and works based only on tasks without a schedule hence my not expecting him to be there. Whew!

I'm happy to say that I never pointed the gun at him, and I feel like I did pretty well. On another note, I could have just left and called the cops. Maybe I made a mistake in pursueing the possible criminal. I thought I'd post my experience here and see what you guys had to say.

2. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    that's a tough call. Is the place yours? Your name and azz on the note? If I thought someone was breaking into the company I work for, i'd call cops and stay ready. If it was my place I treat that differently. Without being there I would not say. I hope I would act at least as well as you did. Ya know, the more I think on it, I would want more firepower before volenteering for trouble. Seems the p3 is last ditch defense.
    Funny how affter it's over those cool nerves go bye bye...

Glad you're ok, keep safe.

3. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Nope, not my place, but it's a small family owned place and I've been with them for over a decade. Kind of part of the family. We've been struggling with the break ins for years. Many expensive windows....

Thanks for the kind words.

4. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Glad to here it was a false alarm.  

FWIW, I think you handled the situation correctly!  :)

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1

Right or wrong I think I would do the same, glad everything worked out well.

CJ

6. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Awesome job on controlling the gun mouse! ;-) You did well and should be proud! It's also good that you realized you should've called the cops first. Live and learn right? Of course none of us know what we'll do till we're confronted with it like you were? ;-) Of course if you had called the cops you would've had to tell them sorry for the false alarm. But better to appologize for that then explain to a jury of your (supposed) peers as to why you didn't call the cops. ;-)

7. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    There are folks who would argue to call the cops in this situation ... I will not, IMHO this one is a judgement/intuitive call and either way and the way you did it is good.

Sleep well knowing you were cool when you had to be ... the nerve thing later is normal ... BTDT.

8. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I can say that in that situation as described I would have probably done the same. I am one who would say call police, but it sounds like you had planned to, since you were gonna hold him till they arrived. Am surprised that they weren't already coming if the alarm was activated when you arrived, and the employee was already in the building. +1 on your kool, and gun control. In that situation, I think (but who really knows until you're there) that I might have summoned them by reactivating the alarm before engaging the unsub. Better have them respond to a false alarm than not respond to a confrontation.

Good Job.

9. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    The thing that should encourage you out of this is that you remained calm and cool, and it sounds like you had safety in mind at the same time. If you had to do this again and it would be a real perp, you could expect to have the same reaction. The best weapon at your disposal is your brain, and most people freak out and panic in situations. The hard part is that you really don't know how you will react until you have to.

I find for example when driving that whenever someone does something stupid or the times that I've almost been hit, I tend to react after the fact like you did. My wife usually freaks out right away, and she scares me more than whatever I just avoided. Hopefully I'll carry that delayed reaction into a situation should it ever come about.

10. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thank you all for the supportive comments! All in all, I am happy with the situation and will def think about it more over the next few days.

Someone mentioned about the alarm and how the cops should have been coming already. The alarm in that building is a total piece of crap. (probably part of our problem right?) I wasn't surprised at all that he didn't trip the alarm. When I disarmed it, it was in the "all clear" state.

11. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    You did well, especially in the way you handled your gun but my advice is to never risk your life to defend property when you could have called the police. There are a thousand ways in which these situations can go wrong.

12. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    i don't know exactly how i would have reacted, but i find zero fault in your action. the only thing i don't really like about your situation was "looking" for a BG with a P3... a little bigger gun would have helped my comfort level a LOT.

i will politely disagree. THIS situation may have better been served by calling the coppers in, but not always. living in the boonies where the closest cop may be 20 minutes away or more, i ain't got a problem with checking out a bump in the night. plus 99.999% of the time it'd just be a critter anyway.

here's a question i've wondered for a LOOOONG time. what is anybody/everybody's opinion on, say, former LEOs or military? they have training and mindset that generally says to find and stop the thread instead of leave and call somebody else to do the work. is it bad or would they be faulted to reverting back to the "old way" in some ways, sometimes?

13. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    I completely dissagree with you on this one Spence. A BG isn't gonna like getting shot by a 380 just as badly as any caliber IMO. I'd feel comfortable doing it with a .32 if needed! ;-)

14. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    I completely dissagree with you on this one Spence. A BG isn't gonna like getting shot by a 380 just as badly as any caliber IMO. I'd feel comfortable doing it with a .32 if needed!  ;-)
    [/quote]

Ever see the movie "pass the ammo"? great movie. Some guys are holding up a televangilist live on the air. The gun hoe cops want to rush them "all they got are pistols" The cooler headed cop says "ever been shot by "just a pistol"?".
    They say that even .22's can sting a little. ;)

15. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I have to agree with APE. Murders are commited every day with .22's on up. Hit em right, They'll go down.

16. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I have an XD .40 that I carry when it's cold enough out to wear a couple layers but it's been so unseasonably warm...all I had was the P3AT. I did have an extra mag with the +1 extention though so 13 rounds on me.

17. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Well done mousegun380! Since you didn't know if you actually had an intruder, calling the police would have been unnecessary. You felt a little threatened, so you drew your firearm. You didn't have a target, so you kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Had the "intruder" become a confirmed threat, you had the initiative and were ready to deal with the situation with the tools you had on hand.

Repeated burglaries can wreck a business, and put you in the unemployment line - good for you for doing something about it.

18. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks pocketgun! (and everyone else too)