Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys got a little feed back but this stuff ain't cheap so I decided to post. Whats the best defensive load in the P3AT between the Pow R' Ball or the DPX stuff getting ready to do a ammo order so I need your feedback. Thanks!!

Tom

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
DPX is far ahead of whatever is in second place.

But DPX seems to be difficult to find, and in short supply or back-ordered, most places.

On the otherhand, there are several less expensive alternatives that would allow more practice with them.

You might want to try Speer Gold-Dot, for instance.

What can you find locally?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The powerball seems to get better penetration.

The only way to test for reliability is to test it in YOUR gun

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I don't know about "specifically designed for" but P3AT's were used during development & testing of the DPX.

I would think if DPX works well in the P3AT, it would work even better in any brand .380 ACP with a longer barrel.

No idea what they used during PowRBall development.

Tests, if you chose to believe them:
Powerball:
http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10020

DPX:
http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10021

Note that the PowRball did penetrate deeper, because it failed to expand at all out of a P3AT.
It did pretty good out of a Walther PPK's longer barrel however.

rcmodel

·
Registered
437 Posts
Curt32

I live in Orlando, Florida, so it's only a 35 minute drive to Kel-Tec in Coco, Florida. I dropped my gun off there last week for some work and they did their test fire with DPX...no problems reported!

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
unit1069 said:
Is Pow' R Ball designed to expand?  
Is the P-3AT designed to handle such a high-velocity load?  It seems that Pow' R Ball has a higher velocity than the legendary Santa Barbara cartridge.
Yes, it is supposed to expand just like any other hollow-point.
In fact, it is just a JHP with a plastic ball in the nose cavity that is supposed to aid feeding, and also aid expansion.

It is faster because it uses a very light bullet for the caliber.
It uses a 70 grain bullet, while the SB has an average bullet weight of 87.8 grains.

rcmodel

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boggs51 said:
Curt32

I live in Orlando, Florida, so it's only a 35 minute drive to Kel-Tec in Coco, Florida.  I dropped my gun off there last week for some work and they did their test fire with DPX...no problems reported!
Say Thanks! for the feedback. Cheaper Then Dirt just got some in they sent me a e-mail yesterday so I picked up a couple of boxes, also got a couple of the Cor Bon 90 gr +P hollow point stuff they might still have some left but it usually files out of there because their prices are pretty reasonable.

Tom j

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40208-48011-176.html

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rcmodel said:
I don't know about "specifically designed for" but P3AT's were used during development & testing of the DPX.

I would think if DPX works well in the P3AT, it would work even better in any brand .380 ACP with a longer barrel.

No idea what they used during PowRBall development.

Tests, if you chose to believe them:
Powerball:
http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10020

DPX:
http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10021

Note that the PowRball did penetrate deeper, because it failed to expand at all out of a P3AT.
It did pretty good out of a Walther PPK's longer barrel however.

rcmodel

Yep, Yep I stand corrected it was just used during the development and testing phase but that's still pretty impressive for a P3AT owner! and what's the optimum penetration for a self defense load 8.5 inches seems a tad on the low side isn't it? Thanks

Tom j

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Curt32 said:
and what's the optimum penetration for a self defense load 8.5 inches seems a tad on the low side isn't it? Thanks
Optimum is what it takes to penetrate to the vital organs (if you're speaking of the bipedal "do bad" type.

The FBI standard is 12" minimum in soft tissue, but that includes a lot of caveats.

This issue is well past the beating "dead horse" stage.

Read everything on this site and you'll have the answers you're searching for.......

http://www.firearmstactical.com/

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
It isn't supply & demand for DPX ammo.
It is world-wide supply & demand for Copper & Brass.

The price of copper has risen by 57% this year and has increased nearly five-fold from November 2001.

Everything with copper in it has went up as much or more then DPX ammo in the last 6 months.

Since the DPX bullet is solid copper, it was bound to be impacted more then regular ammo.

rcmodel

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hutch01 said:
Optimum is what it takes to penetrate to the vital organs (if you're speaking of the bipedal "do bad" type.

The FBI standard is 12" minimum in soft tissue, but that includes a lot of caveats.

This issue is well past the beating "dead horse" stage.

Read everything on this site and you'll have the answers you're searching for.......

http://www.firearmstactical.com/
Yeah 12 inches that's what I read well I think that dead hourse should be resurrected cus 8 1/2 in may not be sufficent to get the job done just saw a FBI link that said that the Federal Premium Personal Defense 380 Hydra Shock got much better penatration with excellent upset, 12 inches and this was out of a 3 1/2 " barrel I believe. Think I'm going to order a few boxes they cost a fraction of the DPX stuff although I just ordered a box of the Cor Bob stuff but I'm thinking they would do a lot better in a longer barreled gun.  I don't know after seeing ths FBI report this DXP stuff might just be a lot of hype. Whata' you think?

Tom

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/380acp.htm

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
No .380 round made will penetrate to 12" and expand at the same time. That has been repeated several times previously. DPX will penetrate to around 10" (approximately) and achieve good expansion in most tests. Gold Dots generally penetrate to a little less depth, also with expansion. Most FMJ will penetrate to more than 12" without any expansion, of course.

So, there you have it. We are back to the circular argument of JHP vs. FMJ. What depth; big hole, or small hole deeper on and on ad nauseoum?

The question really is what depth is required? If you take a frontal shot on a NORMAL size bipedal at close range with no intervening obstacles such as an arm or extra heavy clothing, etc. then 12" is not required to reach vital organs, but a shot from the side or with an intervening obstacle or through a windshield, etc. 12" might be barely adequate. This is all at pretty close range too. As the range increases the depth of penetration is obviously going to be less. Also, as the size of the bipedal increases with layers of fat the required depth of penetration increases.

If one could predict the circumstances of an engagement prior and then load with the proper ammo it would be easy (the easiest would be to not be there). But, as anyone with any degree of knowledge of typical encounters understands they are totally and utterly unpredictable. It all depends.

The elements of this discussion are exactly why .380 is a marginal SD round.

So, the verdict is whatever you choose. No one is right all of the time and no one is wrong all of the time. On and on it goes...............

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I remember correctly the 12" number is
to cover a shot to the right side.In the upper torso it is not 12" to to any thing on a frontal shot.Then you have bones that do funny things to bullets.People tend to move when being shot at.Then you have your reaction to somebody trying to kill you.Just how good and lucky are you going to be.Only two times have I ever had to use a hand gun to protect my self.Both times with a dog and I was able to get a spine hit.One a big chow.The rear legs don't work with a spine hit.The second was a smaller mutt that could move a lot faster that I would have thought using its front legs to drag it self along.Maybe the perfect expanding HP did not work but if it had been a FMJ that did the deep penetration would have done the job.The discussion will never end.

Any way for what I do know for sure.After I put the magazine pinky extension on plus the trigger over travel on my new P11 it is a total different pistol.After several hundred rounds it has not missed a beat with any type are brand of ammunition.It is a lot more accurate than I ever expected.Feels funny picking up one of my full grown up pistols but I sure like little junior.

Ed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.